BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cut to shorten - enscapulated keel (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/74112-re-cut-shorten-enscapulated-keel.html)

DSK September 18th 06 07:58 PM

Cut to shorten - enscapulated keel

Rednose wrote:
Has anyone any experience shortening a fiberglass enscapulated keel
that's packed with lead pellets.. I've seen posts that it's been done
with solid lead, but nothing about a keel of this type. Thinking I
could mold a lead bulb to add the weight back in.Found a dandy boat
with 3' draft but want trailerable, they were also built with fixed
shoal draught version at 2'3" I could pattern from. Experience anybody?

That's going to be some pretty serious structural glass
work. I'm sure it can be done, but it will be working upside
down and crouched under the hull.

It might be easier to mold a whole new keel in the
dimensions & configuration you want, cut the old keel off,
remold the keel root, and put on the new one.

Fresh BReezes- Doug King