BoatBanter.com

-   -   Idle Problems Penta 5.7 V8 1986 bayliner (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/73668-idle-problems-penta-5-7-v8-1986-bayliner.html)

T-Rav September 5th 06 09:46 PM

Idle Problems Penta 5.7 V8 1986 bayliner

Hello, just wanted to ask for someones opinnion of this situation. The
motor will not idle well. It seems to surge. Idles and then misses and
idles again and then dies. I changed the points and no better. I am
wondering if it could be the coil. I have ordered a carb kit, but the
surge thing sounds electrical. Any thoughts. Thanks

Brian Whatcott September 7th 06 03:04 AM

On 5 Sep 2006 13:46:43 -0700, "T-Rav" wrote:

Hello, just wanted to ask for someones opinnion of this situation. The
motor will not idle well. It seems to surge. Idles and then misses and
idles again and then dies. I changed the points and no better. I am
wondering if it could be the coil. I have ordered a carb kit, but the
surge thing sounds electrical. Any thoughts. Thanks

No need to guess.
1) Compression test each cylinder - if one is more than 10% down on
the rest, that's a problem.
2) Ignition test with an adjustable gap - big blue spark needed at
each lead.
3) Fuel pressure test at carb - steady reading.
4) inlet manifold vacuum reading.

It doesn't cost a fortune to make these tests.
But they may save you a fortune.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK