BoatBanter.com

-   -   wood boatdeck planking (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/73569-wood-boatdeck-planking.html)

Paul Fisher September 2nd 06 08:58 AM

wood boatdeck planking

What is the correct material to use between the deck planking on an antique
wooden boat. I have a 63 Thompson and there is some kind of white caulk
in-between the planking on the bow deck. some one has shellacked over that,
the shellac is coming up and I want to know what I should replace it with
and what I should then cove it with.
--
Paul Fisher

Electricky Dicky September 2nd 06 05:25 PM

wood boatdeck planking

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 07:58:23 GMT, "Paul Fisher"
wrote:

What is the correct material to use between the deck planking on an antique
wooden boat. I have a 63 Thompson and there is some kind of white caulk
in-between the planking on the bow deck. some one has shellacked over that,
the shellac is coming up and I want to know what I should replace it with
and what I should then cove it with.

Maybe a mix of White Lead and Putty?

Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S

dadiOH September 2nd 06 05:48 PM

wood boatdeck planking

Paul Fisher wrote:
What is the correct material to use between the deck planking on an
antique wooden boat. I have a 63 Thompson and there is some kind of
white caulk in-between the planking on the bow deck. some one has
shellacked over that, the shellac is coming up and I want to know
what I should replace it with and what I should then cove it with.

Are the planks caulked? That is, when the stopping (the white
material) is removed is there cotton caulking driven into the joint?

If not - and depending on what the wood is - I'd use polysulfide.

If there *is* cotton, you could still use polysulfide but it would be
a bear to remove should you need to recaulk (cotton). A traditional
stopping is basically putty and can be removed more easily with a
reefing iron...any boatyard has it.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

...Ken September 3rd 06 02:48 AM

wood boatdeck planking

If it is a 'goo' you might try a polyurethane such as Sikaflex with a UV
rating, however, if you cover it with a varnish or most poly coatings the
white caulk may yellow.
Teak Decking Systems also has a good caulk

...Ken