posted to rec.boats.building

Default Making a rudder and dagger-board (newbie)

derbyrm wrote:
Careful here. The Sunfish sail was nominally 75 square feet, but actually
measured about 90. The newer sails are about 95.

In my Sunfish, I remember one day when I literally sailed in circles around
a couple of young women in a Snark. I heard one of them tell the other "I
don't know what he's doing!"

Evil. Fun!

Well, I don't know the exact measurements of the stock Sunchaser I
sail. The literature says 72 square-feet. I do know that the spars on
the Sunfish sail I have are pretty close to the proper length - about
the length of the hull give or take a little. Only modification I can
see that I will have to make is to remove one of the pulleys from the
lower spar, and relocate the other pulley to the rear of the lower
spar, since the Sunchaser is rigged a bit differently from a Sunfish.
Check out www.castlecraft.com and you will see what I mean.

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

I checked out your reference, and I may be a bit confused. It's been some
30 years, and the Snark line seems to have changed quite a bit. My
reference is to the old "Kool" boat. (Sold at a discount as a premium by
the cigarette maker with the green and white Kool logo on the sail.)

A bigger sail is generally more fun in my experience, as long as you remain
in sheltered waters and stay ready to loose the sheet. Too many people get
in trouble by "learning to sail" on days when it's almost calm (and even the
experts have trouble making the boat move), and then going out in a blow
where the boat acts completely different.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm
wrote in message
oups.com...