BoatBanter.com

-   -   yanmar ysb12 water pump (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/7049-yanmar-ysb12-water-pump.html)

..be.. May 28th 04 11:39 AM

yanmar ysb12 water pump

My water pump drips proportionally with its speed. A replacement pump
is going to cost over $500

Has anyone found another pump that will do the same job on a ysb12?

Drew Dalgleish May 28th 04 02:47 PM

yanmar ysb12 water pump

Why not just get the one you have rebuilt? I had the same problem with
a volvo engine and a new seal was about $25 when the price of a
rebuilt pump was close to $200. I never priced a new one. It was a
truck parts company that rebuilt my pump

dbraun May 28th 04 04:10 PM

yanmar ysb12 water pump

You didn't mention if it was a raw water pump or a fresh water pump that is
giving you problems.

If it is the fresh water pump, you can probably find a mechanic who can
press out the shaft and replace the seal. Have him replace the bearing
while you are at it as all that leaking water has probably wiped out the
bearing.

If it is the raw water pump, you are in luck. Yanmar pumps use very
standard components. A little research will usually turn up a Jabsco or
Johnson impeller that will be an exact match. Pull the seals and bearings
out and take them to a bearing shop and they can match them up with
generic industrial parts. Buy about 3 sets each of bearings and seals. If
you do any cruising, having the extra parts is invaluable and at $4 a
piece, it isn't worth quibling over. Put the whole thing back together and
you are in business. If you had to purchase any special tools to
disassemble the pump, pack them up with your extra bearings, seals and
impellers and keep them on the boat. Raw water pumps have a habit of going
bad with some regularity.

David
S/V Nausicaa