BoatBanter.com

-   -   Geodesic Airolite Boat with a twist (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6933-geodesic-airolite-boat-twist.html)

Stephen Baker May 2nd 04 02:01 PM

Geodesic Airolite Boat with a twist

Old Nick says:

before you get past your ankle there ;-)

Sorry. Don't get ya.

Reference to how far your foot may have travelled into your mouth....
Nothing personal. ;-)

Steve

Old Nick May 3rd 04 02:17 AM

Geodesic Airolite Boat with a twist

On 02 May 2004 13:01:20 GMT, ospam (Stephen Baker)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Old Nick says:

before you get past your ankle there ;-)

Sorry. Don't get ya.

Reference to how far your foot may have travelled into your mouth....
Nothing personal. ;-)

hmmmm...I would be careful on the Web. "nothing personal" is easy for
_you_ to decide when you say it, smiley or not. G

But I take your point. And thanks for correcting me. Nobody else
seemed to think my misguided efforts worth guiding.
The Met Bureau is LOVE!

Stephen Baker May 3rd 04 01:23 PM

Geodesic Airolite Boat with a twist

Old Nick says:

hmmmm...I would be careful on the Web. "nothing personal" is easy for
_you_ to decide when you say it, smiley or not. G

I know.... Believe me, I know. ;-)))

And thanks for correcting me.

De nada. I once got to the "up to my knee" stage before realising what was
going on. Not a pretty sight, or feeling.

Steve "size 15"

Old Nick May 4th 04 02:40 AM

Geodesic Airolite Boat with a twist

On 03 May 2004 12:23:21 GMT, ospam (Stephen Baker)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Old Nick says:

hmmmm...I would be careful on the Web. "nothing personal" is easy for
_you_ to decide when you say it, smiley or not. G

I know.... Believe me, I know. ;-)))

And thanks for correcting me.

De nada. I once got to the "up to my knee" stage before realising what was
going on. Not a pretty sight, or feeling.

Steve "size 15"

Ah! Yes. My best one was here, where they started talking about using
windmill on a boat to sail straight upwind. After I was allowed to
make a complete idiot of myself for a while, I was informed to treat
it as being like a boat tacking constantly. I slunk away. But I DID
come back and admit my error!

I don't think it was going to be _that_ bad here. But it wouldn't want
to be.
The Met Bureau is LOVE!

Stephen Baker May 4th 04 12:32 PM

Geodesic Airolite Boat with a twist

Old Nick says:

Ah! Yes. My best one was here, where they started talking about using
windmill on a boat to sail straight upwind. After I was allowed to
make a complete idiot of myself for a while, I was informed to treat
it as being like a boat tacking constantly. I slunk away. But I DID
come back and admit my error!

Heehee - I remember that one. A classic. ;-)

Steve

Old Nick May 4th 04 12:40 PM

Geodesic Airolite Boat with a twist

On 30 Apr 2004 04:22:27 -0700, (Snowman)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

OK. I am now on track as to how these things are built. Sorry about my
misguided attempts.

My feelings:

As has been saidKevlar would be a difficult material to use to make
ribs as you suggest. Try epoxy/glass.

I cannot see any troubles. Although the foam is softer than wood, the
glass (kevlar) skin is what makes a foam/glass frame stiff, and stiff
it would be. Make the "walls" heavier than the "roof (inner) and
"floor" (outer) skins. make the floor heavoer than the roof.

Having said that, if the bending is the problem, I still reckon that
you could use kerfed wood, to make it easier to bend, over an
armature. My trial methos would be kerf and bend with the kerfs inside
the cirve, so that the outer side, at first was fair and not blocky.
You would have to make enough kerfs, each kerf wide enough, to allow
the bend.

This would then be covered with the glass skin, as much as possible,
and then turned and glassed on the remaining side once dry. Careful
work and a fair bit of it. The advantage of using wood as a core over
foam is that the skins can be thinner without fear of have
easily-punctured walls.

In the end you would have to try a few of these and test the
strength/weight ratio of these vs straight (bent!G) wood. Strength
in this case to my mind would include some sort of stanadard crushing
test.

I still wonder if all this weight saving is worth the trouble....I can
see it being useful in extreme situations of portability, and careful
usage.

I'm looking at building a Geodesic Airolite Boat, (see
www.gaboats.com
by Platt Monfort) but I'm considering an interesting idea and I'm
wondering what you all might think. Instead of using wood strips to
form the geodesic structure I am thinking about using foam strips
wrapped in Kevlar tape and epoxy.

I have been reading about the construction of these boats and found
that some people have trouble with bending the ribs to shape without
breaking, (and this is with better quality wood that I am able to
source). I'm thinking I can bend foam cores easily to shape and then
once assembled in a frame start wrapping it all in Kevlar tape,
forming a makeshift Kevlar tube frame.

I'm still considering using wood for the stringers and gunwales as I
can form those with little or no problem. Having the stringers and
gunwales constructed out of wood would also make forming the foam ribs
much easier as it would give me something solid to work the foam
inside.

-Does anyone foresee a problem with pursuing this type of
construction?
-How will Kevlar wrapped foam compare to the equivalent
cross-sectional wood piece in strength?

Thanks
Jordan Richardson

The Met Bureau is LOVE!

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen May 4th 04 10:05 PM

"Old Nick" wrote in message

My feelings:

As has been saidKevlar would be a difficult material to use to make
ribs as you suggest. Try epoxy/glass.

I cannot see any troubles. Although the foam is softer than wood, the
glass (kevlar) skin is what makes a foam/glass frame stiff, and stiff
it would be. Make the "walls" heavier than the "roof (inner) and
"floor" (outer) skins. make the floor heavoer than the roof.

I think this is where people often mistake stiffness versus strength.
Plain vanilla fiberglass is about the same stiffness as wood. In
other words, make a 1 inch by one inch by 12 inch stick of wood,
clamp it onto your workbench, and put a five pound weight on the
end. It bends about what, a half inch? Make a 1 inch by one
inch by 12 inch stick of fiberglass, put the same five pound weight
on the end, and it will bend about a half inch as well.

Now the fiberglass will support more weight before it breaks, but
it's also about three times heavier. Give me three times more
wood to use, and if I can make the beam a one by three, then I can
approach the load strength of the glass. Wood is good stuff for
resisting bending. I call it a naturally occuring unidirectional
carbon fiber reinforcement ;=)

I could go further into the engineering analysis and try to come
up with some numbers for equivalent stiffness of glass or
kevlar cored stringers. They'll either need to be larger in section
or solid glass. But in the end it sure seems like it's going
to be a lot of extra labor to build it that way, when the time could
be used to find some decent regional straight grained boatbuilding
lumber.

Just MHO.

Assuming that decent boatbuilding wood really is too difficult to
find, then I do like your idear of cutting kerfs on the wood stringers,
framing and skinning the boat, then filling the kerfs with epoxy/wood
dust and covering the kerfed face with glass.

Matt

Old Nick May 4th 04 10:10 PM

Geodesic Airolite Boat with a twist

On 04 May 2004 11:32:13 GMT, ospam (Stephen Baker)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Heehee - I remember that one. A classic. ;-)

*******!
The Met Bureau is LOVE!

Stephen Baker May 4th 04 10:48 PM

Geodesic Airolite Boat with a twist

Old Nick says:

*******!

Definitely, by nature.
Not by birth - some of us have to WORK to achieve that status. ;-)

Backyard Renegade May 5th 04 04:37 PM

ospam (Stephen Baker) wrote in message

some of us have to WORK to achieve that status. ;-)

And some of us don't, ugh.

Scotty, from the bestest ever website, ooops, poweroutage... ouch,
damn, uh, oh, bye...