BoatBanter.com

-   -   Re-charging Battery (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6930-re-charging-battery.html)

Ivan Young April 28th 04 06:10 PM

Re-charging Battery

How do I check whether my outboard (Mercury 40hp) re-charging the battery or
not?
Thanks for the suggestions.

Brian Whatcott April 28th 04 08:06 PM

Re-charging Battery

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:10:03 GMT, "Ivan Young"
wrote:

How do I check whether my outboard (Mercury 40hp) re-charging the battery or
not?
Thanks for the suggestions.

Checking the battery volts should show a slight rise when the OB is
charging. It probably gives out just a few amps, so it won't leap
from 12.6 all the way to 13.8 volt - just up a little...

Brian W

dazed and confuzed April 29th 04 02:08 AM

Re-charging Battery

Ivan Young wrote:

How do I check whether my outboard (Mercury 40hp) re-charging the battery or
not?
Thanks for the suggestions.

after the motor has been started, you can put an ammeter in the battery
lead, it should show current flowing INTO the battery.

do this after starting the motor, otherwise you can damage the ammeter,
or blow the fuse (if it is so equipped)

--
the most committed always win

Lew Hodgett April 29th 04 02:17 AM

Re-charging Battery

How do I check whether my outboard (Mercury 40hp) re-charging the battery

or
not?

A DC voltmeter.

Anything above 12.6 VDC with the engine running and the battery is being
charged.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Wayne.B April 29th 04 01:57 PM

Re-charging Battery

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:08:22 -0500, dazed and confuzed
wrote:

do this after starting the motor, otherwise you can damage the ammeter,
or blow the fuse (if it is so equipped)

This is an excellent way to burn out the diodes in your charging
system if you have any.

Not recommended in my book.

dazed and confuzed April 29th 04 10:34 PM

Re-charging Battery

wrote:

do this after starting the motor, otherwise you can damage the ammeter,
or blow the fuse (if it is so equipped)

This is an excellent way to burn out the diodes in your charging
system if you have any.

Not recommended in my book.

not saying you are wrong, but why do you say that?

--
the most committed always win

Wayne.B May 1st 04 04:51 AM

Re-charging Battery

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:34:10 -0500, dazed and confuzed

This is an excellent way to burn out the diodes in your charging
system if you have any.

Not recommended in my book.

not saying you are wrong, but why do you say that?

If you open up the circuit while it is under load the voltage can (and
frequently does) rise to the point where the Peak Inverse Voltage
rating of the diodes is exceeded, and the junction permantently fails.

dazed and confuzed May 1st 04 02:23 PM

Re-charging Battery

Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:34:10 -0500, dazed and confuzed

This is an excellent way to burn out the diodes in your charging
system if you have any.

Not recommended in my book.

not saying you are wrong, but why do you say that?

If you open up the circuit while it is under load the voltage can (and
frequently does) rise to the point where the Peak Inverse Voltage
rating of the diodes is exceeded, and the junction permantently fails.

for the few seconds required to place an ameeter in the circuit?
Perhaps. But I doubt it.

Your mileage may vary.

the most committed always win

Brian Whatcott May 1st 04 02:28 PM

Re-charging Battery

On Sat, 01 May 2004 08:23:18 -0500, dazed and confuzed
wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:

If you open up the circuit while it is under load the voltage can (and
frequently does) rise to the point where the Peak Inverse Voltage
rating of the diodes is exceeded, and the junction permantently fails.

for the few seconds required to place an ameeter in the circuit?
Perhaps. But I doubt it.

Your mileage may vary.

Wayne spoke wisely - it takes about 5 microseconds maybe less of
reverse overvolts - it's not a slow thermal process

Brian W

dazed and confuzed May 1st 04 04:26 PM

Re-charging Battery

wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:

If you open up the circuit while it is under load the voltage can (and
frequently does) rise to the point where the Peak Inverse Voltage
rating of the diodes is exceeded, and the junction permantently fails.

for the few seconds required to place an ameeter in the circuit?
Perhaps. But I doubt it.

Your mileage may vary.

Wayne spoke wisely - it takes about 5 microseconds maybe less of
reverse overvolts - it's not a slow thermal process

Brian W

if you say so.

--
the most committed always win