BoatBanter.com

-   -   engine mount repair (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6907-engine-mount-repair.html)

trent April 23rd 04 02:38 PM

engine mount repair

If someone could tell me if i have to replace the stringer all the way
to the front of my 18ft power boat if the engine mount holes are hollow?
if not what do i do? thanks

Trent

John April 26th 04 05:12 PM

engine mount repair

trent wrote in message ...
If someone could tell me if i have to replace the stringer all the way
to the front of my 18ft power boat if the engine mount holes are hollow?
if not what do i do? thanks

Trent

Trent

I'm assuming the stringers are solid wood and you've just stripped the
threads out of the holed. You can insert small strips of hard wood
into the hole to partially fill it, then put the lag bolts back in. If
it's still loose, put more strips of wood in. It will tighten up for
you.

Bowgus April 26th 04 11:19 PM

engine mount repair

If the holes are just stripped (not rotted) I think I might look into
drilling out the metal engine mount holes (on a press, don't want the hole
centers to change) and using larger bolts. Or maybe buy mounts with the same
mounting spacing but that use larger bolts.