BoatBanter.com

-   -   Construction methods conversion from plans???? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6787-construction-methods-conversion-plans.html)

Rich March 26th 04 09:24 PM

Construction methods conversion from plans????

What is the group's wisdom on which building methods can be practically
converted to what other methods ( given the requisite skill, knowledge,
experience,....legal disclaimer here.....)? For instance can a carvel plank
boat's plans be converted to strip planking? Clinker (lapstrake) to glued
lapstrake, etc.? Some of us are in the position of not being able to leave
a boat in the water , so a construction method which permits the boat to be
left on a trailer is the only good option. Some nice shapes aren't drawn
for these methods so being able to convert the plans to those more "user
friendly " ( the finished boat , not necessarily the method. I know some
can't abide the Epoxy Gloppies.) types of construction would allow access to
more hull plans.

Any rule for this decision about which are adaptable?

We built a plywood on frame boat as a stitch and glue because we had all the
"stuff" available from a previous project, but that wasn't much of a
conversion.

Rich

William R. Watt March 26th 04 10:53 PM

Construction methods conversion from plans????

there's more to it than a straight conversion as a lot of boats do not do well
in a trailer lifestyle

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

P.C. March 26th 04 11:08 PM

Construction methods conversion from plans????

Hi

"Rich" skrev i en meddelelse
nk.net...
[...]

There are a lot of good methods, but each have it's own applications ; for a
Viking Longboat you build lapstrake and for an epoxy boat you use wood ,
that's just a small part of it.
The better technike and materials the better a boat, and a lot of it deal
with having an open mind ------- having that mean that your mind need to be
open to other than your own pony. Plywood is nice but so is mahogony
originaly Ply was even made to produce a material not carrying the "foults"
of wood ; those a craftman acturly use when building become an art. Still
art is possible in plastic but a boat is more than materials, it's good
plans meaning a good designer, it is the ability to cross the sea and keep
the sailors alive nomatter how stupid they sail, still there are plenty of
methods to build a boat hull some old and some not as old ------- the real
new ones also exist , when you look for them and realy share an open mind
;))

P.C.
http://w1.1396.telia.com/~u139600113/