Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building
Ole Skovrup

Default Hydraulic drive experiences

Hi, Steve
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, the energy loss is certainly a factor - weight is not as much a
factor, since I have to add 1« ton of ballast anyway(closed up pond).
Cooling... I have access to stainless heat exchangers at a very good price.
As for the electrical drive - I know that it has a lower energy loss, but
the idea of so much stuff that can short out in my engine room is not
appealing until I have mre knowledge of the equipment's degree of
protection.
The hydraulics OTOH can operate if partly submerged - as long as the diesel
can draw breath :-)

So I speculate on - trying to calculate heat loss right now.

I'd rather be sailing....
Ole

Ole,
I have considered this before and rejected it because of excessive
weight, very high cost and very poor efficiency. Consider the size and
weight of the hydraulics rated for 130 HP. Consider the amount of heat
generated in the hydraulic oil in comparison to a conventional gear.
(lost energy) Now, do a cost comparison. I think you will end up
making the same decision. All other concerns like speed and torque are
simply hydraulic configuration issues and are easily resolved.
Now, electric, propulsion. There you have serious possibilities.
Steve