BoatBanter.com

-   -   how do you bend wood into the boat shape? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6690-how-do-you-bend-wood-into-boat-shape.html)

Old Nick March 12th 04 01:23 AM

how do you bend wood into the boat shape?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:43:25 GMT, Brian Nystrom
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

What unfounded assumptions? What does it natter what their intentions
were? There _actions_ were that they asked for information, have had a
lot of effort to supply it, and have not bothered to come back.

I am not sure I _want_ to make people like that welcome. If they can't
be bothered to come back to their own posts then good riddance. I
admit my post was ****y. That is all I will admit. I have posted
messages with similar intent buy softer content in the past.

I have not contributed much to this thread, I agree. I am no "expert"
on the subject. I did comment on what I did know. I have contributed
quite a bit in the past, whether it was "welcome" or not. What I have
had to say is as good as a lot of what I read here. Read that how you
like.

That in no way justifies making unfounded assumptions and posting such
as ****y reply. How can you possibly know his intentions or actions? You
can't, but you spouted off anyway. That's a great way to make people
feel welcome, isn't it? It's not like you've been a big contributor to
this discussion, either.

************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Does Bill Gates dream of electronic sheep?

Rodney Myrvaagnes March 12th 04 04:29 AM

how do you bend wood into the boat shape?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:34:31 GMT, Brian Nystrom
wrote:

steveJ wrote:

Well Nick, I must admit that where I saw this was not on a boat.
Musical instrument makers have been doing this for centuries to bend the
sides of guitars and such. Though the wood was thin, I've seen a guitar
maker bend honduran mahogany using a two inch iron pipe that was set up
on a stand with a propane torch burning in the middle of the pipe.
water was sprayed on the surface of the wood to prevent burning. Worked
very well. I wonder if this concept/tool cold be used for larger pieces
for bending ribs on small boats. I see no reason why it wouldn't work
when making small ribs like for a kayak or something.

I suspect that it would be difficult to get even heating of a 1/4" thick
kayak rib, but it might be worth a try. However, steam bending is so
easy that I'm not sure if the experiment would be worth the effort.

How even does it have to be? As I posted earlier, the curved sides of
Flemish harpsichords were bent over a hot iron, probably the top of
the shop stove, for about 2 centuries. The bent side started over 1/2
in thick. It is a little thinner at the area of greatest curvature
because they had to scrape the charcoal off before they could paint
it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

Brian Nystrom March 12th 04 06:49 PM

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

I suspect that it would be difficult to get even heating of a 1/4" thick

kayak rib, but it might be worth a try. However, steam bending is so
easy that I'm not sure if the experiment would be worth the effort.

How even does it have to be? As I posted earlier, the curved sides of
Flemish harpsichords were bent over a hot iron, probably the top of
the shop stove, for about 2 centuries. The bent side started over 1/2
in thick. It is a little thinner at the area of greatest curvature
because they had to scrape the charcoal off before they could paint
it.

Well, I wouldn't want to be scraping any charocal off a rib that's only
1/4" thick to start with. Burning the outside in order to get the inside
hot enough to bend seems pretty ridiculous when you can steam the part
and have it bend with no damage. Perhaps the harpsicord makers couldn't
do this for some reason or perhaps there is something about the wood
they used that precluded it?

Brian Nystrom March 12th 04 06:56 PM

Old Nick wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:43:25 GMT, Brian Nystrom
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

What unfounded assumptions? What does it natter what their intentions
were? There _actions_ were that they asked for information, have had a
lot of effort to supply it, and have not bothered to come back.

I am not sure I _want_ to make people like that welcome. If they can't
be bothered to come back to their own posts then good riddance. I
admit my post was ****y. That is all I will admit. I have posted
messages with similar intent buy softer content in the past.

You're assuming that he hasn't been back to check the thread. You're
assuming that it's intentional on his part. You're assuming that he's
not grateful for the suggestions.

Perhaps the guy's been away for a few days and unable to check the
newsgroup? Would you still feel justified in bitching at him for being
ungrateful?

You haven't been supplying any information, so why do you even care? You
got your panties all in a wad over nothing and decided to insult the guy
without cause. What's really eating you? I doubt that it's anything to
do with this thread.

Rodney Myrvaagnes March 12th 04 07:11 PM

how do you bend wood into the boat shape?

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:49:00 GMT, Brian Nystrom
wrote:

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

[...]

First, they started with it thick enough to end up as desired. Second,
the iron was on the inside of the curve (which is the outside of the
harpsichord. Third, what they did was probably the fastest way to do
it. They were not into spending a lot of time savoring the process.

Esourcedesigns March 15th 04 10:15 PM

how do you bend wood into the boat shape?

I'm not a boat builder but I am an accomplished woodworker. I've used an old
microwave oven to heat small pieces to bend. I've also seen a homemade
contraption built by a woodowrker that uses a piece of pipe placed through the
center of an old 250 gal propane tank. It looks like an oversize B-B-Que pit.
He lights a fire in the tank, slids his wood through the pipe and heats it. It
seems to work very effectively for the bent wood rocking chairs he
manufacturers. Just a thought!

I think some of the folks here are forgetting that it is the heat, not
the moisture that allows the cell walls to get soft. See Greg, I have
read your pages ;) Anyway, I think the steam helps in delivering that
heat in a even, manageable fashion. I have heard of folks bending
without steam, just heat but I have not tried..
Scotty... still with tail between legs...

Jonathan March 26th 04 06:34 AM

how do you bend wood into the boat shape?

Ive done it using 2" copper pipe heated on a gas stove
"Max Camirand" wrote in message
On 7 Mar 2004 00:01:32 GMT, (William R.
Watt) wrote:

A 1"x1" piece of clear oak properly steamed can be tied in a knot. Not
something I've ever tried.

I'll try it sometime, and post pictures :-)

-m

[email protected] March 26th 04 03:05 PM

how do you bend wood into the boat shape?

I recall seeing plans for a steamer that was basically a long piece of
copper pipe connected to a tea kettle. It was probably in a strip canoe
book. I'll look around and see if I can find it again.

Old Nick March 26th 04 03:18 PM

still get sick of how do you bend wood into the boat shape?

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:56:40 GMT, Brian Nystrom
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

You're assuming that he hasn't been back to check the thread. You're
assuming that it's intentional on his part. You're assuming that he's
not grateful for the suggestions.

OK. I waited. I waited because you were so damned determined to judge
my appraisal of the OP's motoves.......and I reckon by now I am right.
The guy is a wasterel.

So how long do you want to give the little %$#* Eh!

I am still sick of prats who cannot be bothered to follow up their own
posts. TROLL rings a bell. LAZY comes next.

I am NOT assuming that "he" is not grateful. I reckon that if "he" is,
then we should all hear about it. A lot of effort has been put into
replying. A simple "thank you" is the least.....

OK?

Old Nick March 26th 04 03:19 PM

how do you bend wood into the boat shape?

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:30:09 +0100, "Marcel"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

The problem is how do you bend wood on a yet to built boat.
I am using wood 7mm thick and 50mm wide.

Marcel Marceau? No speak?