BoatBanter.com

-   -   Logo contest! (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6652-logo-contest.html)

Skip Gundlach February 23rd 04 02:58 AM

Logo contest!

Well, we're rounding third in our quest to step aboard and cut the lines.
Minor details remain to be dealt with, but one which had bedeviled us until
today is now resolved.

That's the name of our boat. There's more background than you'll want to
hear, but the challenge we've had is to come up with something which was
meaningful to both of us, and also to be unique. For reasons which are not
germane to this group, we've settled on the name (long time followers -
err... sufferers - know it took a long time to settle on a boat!):

The Flying Pig

We already have shirts with one of those, which looks like the color one
shown in www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery, and click on the Logo folder, but
think that might be a bit difficult to render in a logo form, such as would
be embroidered, or put on stationery or "business" cards, and the like. We
have found some other instances of flying pigs, and none of them
particularly appeal to us (shown in the same folder).

Submission of entries for our logo are encouraged by dropping a line to
flyingpig at justpickone dot org. The winner (up to a couple) gets a week's
cruise on the boat, wherever we are at the time they choose to take it,
following commissioning expected post 2004 hurricane season. Cruising
grounds will be throughout the Caribbean through November 2005, and
concentration in the Virgins for the following 7-8 months. Redemption of
the prize authorized until November 2006. Transportation to cruising site
not included :{)) We'll post the other entries as received, and notify the
winner, publicly if desired.

L8R

Skip and Lydia, close enough to taste it...

--
"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you are

Ken Heaton February 23rd 04 03:21 AM

Logo contest!

Hi Skip, there is a manufacturer of entertainment lighting consoles called
Flying Pig Systems. Their logo is on their website at www.flyingpig.com
Have a look and see what you think. Simple, whimsical and easy to
reproduce.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in
message link.net...

Skip Gundlach February 23rd 04 04:09 AM

Logo contest!

Flying Pig Systems. Their logo is on their website at www.flyingpig.com
Have a look and see what you think. Simple, whimsical and easy to
reproduce.

It's now up as big3logo.jpg, as shown on their website...

Brian Whatcott February 23rd 04 04:10 AM

Logo contest!

Good choice, Skip!

Our family blazon
(at least as portrayed years ago by one of those
fake/fun heraldry outfits that provide the shield and the listing of
all the folks with the same name - not many world wide, in our case)
...is three boars, gules, passant
on an ermine ground or as we used to say:
" we will be nobility when pigs can fly." :-)

Brian W.

Dan Best February 23rd 04 04:30 AM

Logo contest!

Skip,
Did I miss something here? Did you close the deal on the Morgan? If
so, congratulations are surely in order. Let's hopewe cross wakes sometime.

Fair winds - Dan

Larry W4CSC February 23rd 04 04:30 AM

Logo contest!

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:58:49 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

The Flying Pig

Here's the source of Pig paraphenalia, Skip.....

http://www.kpig.com/

There are not many real radio stations left in America. KPIG in
Freedom California, broadcasting from a peanut whistle of a
transmitter "on a grassy knoll, not a mountain top" is one of
them....(c;

Look over the pig sty stuff. They got some great logos....(c;

Larry

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....

Skip Gundlach February 23rd 04 06:04 AM

Logo contest!

Did I miss something here? Did you close the deal on the Morgan? If
so, congratulations are surely in order. Let's hopewe cross wakes

sometime.

Indeed. However, we're still looking for insurance, which is required with
the financing. Assuming all the places we're looking aren't sitting on
their hands (anyone from Golden looking on? It's been well over a week -
even though I know your computers have been troubled lately...), we trust
that we'll have that in short order. Likewise the survey report, which
should be voluminous. I've got a head start on our counter based on what I
already know, but want the rest of the story, so to speak.

All goes well, we'll turn the key on Monday morning March 1.

Thanks for asking. A full report will follow the conclusion, whatever it
turns out to be.

L8R

Skip and Lydia, with many more choices on the gallery in the last couple of
hours...

rhys February 23rd 04 06:30 AM

Logo contest!

wrote:

Submission of entries for our logo are encouraged by dropping a line to
flyingpig at justpickone dot org. The winner (up to a couple) gets a week's
cruise on the boat, wherever we are at the time they choose to take it,
following commissioning expected post 2004 hurricane season. Cruising
grounds will be throughout the Caribbean through November 2005, and
concentration in the Virgins for the following 7-8 months. Redemption of
the prize authorized until November 2006. Transportation to cruising site
not included :{)) We'll post the other entries as received, and notify the
winner, publicly if desired.

When's the deadline? Colour, b&w lineart or both? Size/scale?
Suitable for embroidery AND stickers/business cards, etc.?

Is this going on a cruising spinnaker? Good luck cruising the eastern
Med and the Red Sea, if it is!

As I do design for a living (but not a lot of logos), I fancy I have a
crack at this! Congratulations on the Morgan, by the way. As soon as I
get the paying work out of the way, I'll give this a crack.

Very nice, Skip.

R.

Skip Gundlach February 23rd 04 07:45 AM

Logo contest!

"rhys" wrote in message
When's the deadline? Colour, b&w lineart or both? Size/scale?

We're not going to splash the boat before November (after we immediately
take it around to the west FL coast due to the extreme price differential)
at the earliest, due to the hurricane bit and our need to get out of town,
so to speak. So, let's say August 1. As to size, digital would be good, as
that will convert to scale as needed. We're thinking about some pretty fancy
ones for us, and some simpler, maybe silk-screened ones, for guests.

Suitable for embroidery AND stickers/business cards, etc.?

Well, color is nice - the folks we have in mind do that sort of embroidery -
but it has to be relatively simple. Some of the designs which I put up
after the original post would fit that description - I'm leaning toward the
one with the little bit of red in the wing(s), side view, because it would
be pretty easy to embroider, but I'm not really thrilled with the pig
itself. I'm spoiled by the stormpigs which were the original from which the
shirt designs were taken... Anyway, line art would probably be the easiest
to reproduce.

Background on this is that we go to a pig roast every Labor Day, hosted by,
among others, some pilots. T-shirts are given to participants, and these
were one year's efforts of one of the wives, *way* too much to do again, so
the rest have been either tie-dye or silkscreen designs...

Is this going on a cruising spinnaker? Good luck cruising the eastern
Med and the Red Sea, if it is!

No, just on our caps and shirts and the bow, and maybe the stern. I read
about some ad campaign which was withdrawn due to upset Muslims...

As I do design for a living (but not a lot of logos), I fancy I have a
crack at this! Congratulations on the Morgan, by the way. As soon as I
get the paying work out of the way, I'll give this a crack.

Very good, indeed. We look forward to the submission.

Very nice, Skip.

blush scrapes toe in dirt Thanks. We're going to name the dink Piglet,
and figure out a way to avoid copyright issues and still have some logo that
looks like that, but has wings, too :{))

L8R

Skip and Lydia

R.

William R. Watt February 23rd 04 01:18 PM

Logo contest!

"Skip Gundlach" ) writes:

Submission of entries for our logo are encouraged by dropping a line to
flyingpig at justpickone dot org.

you can save money on the logo by not using the whole pig, or by using a
home built pig. there is absolutley no need to use epoxy in the logo.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm