BoatBanter.com

-   -   Okoume in strip-planking (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6559-okoume-strip-planking.html)

Leo January 24th 04 03:34 PM

Okoume in strip-planking

Hi to all, I'm newsbie.

It could be possible to use okoume (gaboon) instead of Red Western Cedar in
strip-planking?
advandages/disadvantages?

Thank's to all

Ciao
Leo

Glenn Ashmore January 24th 04 06:16 PM

Okoume in strip-planking

First I believe it would end up being more expensive but primarily
Okoume, while light weight, is not very rot resistant whereas Western
red or Atlantic white cedars are much more durable.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Backyard Renegade January 24th 04 08:51 PM

Okoume in strip-planking

"Leo" wrote in message ...
Hi to all, I'm newsbie.

It could be possible to use okoume (gaboon) instead of Red Western Cedar in
strip-planking?
advandages/disadvantages?

Thank's to all

Ciao
Leo

Any kind of plywood is not good for strip building (as we know it).
The properties of the plywood make it difficult if not impossible to
bend the strips in such a manner as to follow the lines of a hull.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

Ron Magen January 24th 04 10:34 PM

Okoume in strip-planking

However, plywood is the material for 'glued lapstrake' construction. As
Okoume is supposedly prone to rot, this would probably do the job if it was
'encapsulated'. That is, epoxy, cloth, & finish on the outside with a few
coats of a quality exterior primer and finish paint on the inside. Or
several coats of a UV Varnish . . . and keep them maintained.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...

steveJ January 25th 04 01:39 AM

Okoume in strip-planking

Why would you want to do this?
You would have difficulty fairing the finished surface because the
rather thin plies in the plywood would break thru during fairing and
sanding.
If you have a design that calls for strip planking but want to use
plywood, convert it to glued lapstrake. Tom Hill's book Ultralight
Boatbuilding is the best book on this method for small boats.

Backyard Renegade January 25th 04 01:46 AM

Okoume in strip-planking

"Ron Magen" wrote in message ...
However, plywood is the material for 'glued lapstrake' construction.

I did struggle with the post I made because of this and other
possibilities, that I why I said, "for strip building (as we know
it)".

As
Okoume is supposedly prone to rot, this would probably do the job if it was
'encapsulated'. That is, epoxy, cloth, & finish on the outside with a few
coats of a quality exterior primer and finish paint on the inside. Or
several coats of a UV Varnish . . . and keep them maintained.

I get lot's of guys who have me deliver S+T boats clear coated cause
the Okoume and Mahogany look so nice, I wonder how long they will stay
clear though;-)
Scotty

Leo January 25th 04 01:47 PM

Okoume in strip-planking

"Jim Conlin" wrote:
Perhaps I misunderstood the original question. Was it about plywood or

solid okoume?

It is solid okoumè.

I know cedar is better: lighter and more durable .
In Italy (I think so in all the Europe) western red cedar is 1,200 Euro x
cube meter (sorry, metric, but ratio is the same), much more expensive than
Okoumè.
Therefore, red cedar I found has high weight, similar to okoumè:
450kg/cu.meter (again, see the ratio).
Cedar should be1/5 less heavy on weight to be good.
For that I'm asking about.

Alternative could be Spruce, light as cedar but I think less durable than
okoumè.
In any case wood will be 'encapsulated' in coatings, as Ron says, as a core.
My doubts are on strength of these different woods.

Plywood-lapstrake could be a good solution, but I need a smooth round bilge
for a modern 19' racer.

What do You think about?

Ciao
Leo

P.C. January 25th 04 01:56 PM

Okoume in strip-planking

Hi

"Backyard Renegade" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
"Leo" wrote in message

Any kind of plywood is not good for strip building (as we know it).
The properties of the plywood make it difficult if not impossible to
bend the strips in such a manner as to follow the lines of a hull.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

I do not agrea, -------- with my software I can prove different and acturly
already proven that any form can be unfolded from double curve surfaces
into maneagable strips forming the exact boat form.

------------- I already done this with true Lapstrake hulls, that is much
more difficult than smooth-hull designs, so ofcaurse Plywood strips can be
plottet full-size.
The way strip planking is done, already minimise the foults ,but sure you
can't rely on the free software avaible, as to work around the troubles you
reconise hands-on building , you need software that acturly work and a lot
of hands-on experience building.

How do you explain that I can project a true Lapstrake hull , unfold the
planking ,keelworks and building jig, and have the whole lot go together
within 2 cm . of the original plans, --------- you se while building the
measures are exact, and only when the hull leave the jig, the forces in the
wood will make _any_ wooden hull move slightly out of measure, this can not
be avoided.

The hardwood I used are more rigid than any Plywood, and even then I build
small boats without steaming and my experience after building a lot of
tradisional round bottom boats is, that with the right software, breaking up
double curved surfaces into strips of single curves forming the actural
shape, you can form any shape, ----------- shapes more advanced than boat
hulls.

----------- Just want to say that I produced lots of plywood boats even
Lapstrake with planks much wider than what you can do with wood, and before
I decided to drop glued Lapstrake to replace the glue with flexible
polyurethane mastic, these glued Lapstrake hulls was not more difficult than
strip planking.

P.C.

Glenn Ashmore January 25th 04 02:33 PM

Okoume in strip-planking

Sorry. I was thinking on this side of the pond where solid okoume is
very rare and expensive. In that case okoume could be an option. Just
be sure to encapsulate it extremely well in epoxy because it is rated as
non-durable. Once rot starts it will spread very quickly.

You will not have a problem with strength. Okoume is about equal to
cedar in bending strength and stiffness and slightly better in impact
resistance and crush strength.

Weight will be a consideration with cedar running about 370 Kg/M and
okoume averaging 450 Kg/M. Also okoume is hard on tool sharpness.