BoatBanter.com

-   -   REQ: Hydroplane building info (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/65374-req-hydroplane-building-info.html)

Heywood Jablomie January 16th 06 11:45 PM

REQ: Hydroplane building info

Hi All,
What I'm looking for is information on building a modern-style
hydroplane. There are a couple of companies (glen-l and others), that
offer plans close to what I want but are more of the "vintage" disc
style. There was a good example of what I'm speaking of at-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Staud...01415647QQrdZ1

Thanks,
Mark

Larry January 17th 06 12:53 AM

Hydroplane building info

"Heywood Jablomie" wrote in message
Hi All,
What I'm looking for is information on building a modern-style
hydroplane. There are a couple of companies (glen-l and others), that
offer plans close to what I want but are more of the "vintage" disc
style. There was a good example of what I'm speaking of at-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Staud...01415647QQrdZ1

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,
what you see there is a pretty much 'state of the art' Hydro that
incorporates a lot of 'closely guarded' design elements. When a Hydro
builder racks up a lot of victories with a particular hull design, they are
able to sell a lot of hulls and make a lot of $$. There's quite a bit of
research & development invested in those hulls. There is not much $$ in
selling plans, so they don't have a lot of incentive to make them available
to the general public.

Besides, what would prevent somebody from setting up shop next door and
cranking out 'your hull' clones?

My 2¢

Larry

My turbine powered boat project;
http://www.weldingfaq.com/turbine2.asp

Richard M. Geis January 17th 06 07:28 AM

REQ: Hydroplane building info

Here is a start
http://www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local/...e22973993334b2

Heywood Jablomie January 17th 06 08:25 AM

REQ: Hydroplane building info

Thanks for responding. I found that one too. Would prefer to have it
more of the pickle-fork variety or more so, the style in that ebay
pic. That one that you showed me would probably be less difficult for
a first time builder.

P.C. Ford January 21st 06 08:06 PM

REQ: Hydroplane building info

On 16 Jan 2006 17:45:01 -0600, Heywood Jablomie
wrote:

Hi All,
What I'm looking for is information on building a modern-style
hydroplane. There are a couple of companies (glen-l and others), that
offer plans close to what I want but are more of the "vintage" disc
style. There was a good example of what I'm speaking of at-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Staud...01415647QQrdZ1

Thanks,
Mark

Try these guys.

http://www.thunderboats.org/

Heywood Jablomie January 22nd 06 07:45 PM

Hydroplane building info

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:53:17 GMT, "Larry" wrote:

Mark,
what you see there is a pretty much 'state of the art' Hydro that
incorporates a lot of 'closely guarded' design elements. When a Hydro
builder racks up a lot of victories with a particular hull design, they are
able to sell a lot of hulls and make a lot of $$. There's quite a bit of
research & development invested in those hulls. There is not much $$ in
selling plans, so they don't have a lot of incentive to make them available
to the general public.

Besides, what would prevent somebody from setting up shop next door and
cranking out 'your hull' clones?

My 2¢

Larry

My turbine powered boat project;
http://www.weldingfaq.com/turbine2.asp

I see what you're saying. I just figured that the "outrigger" degsign
has been in use for a long time now that one would think that someone
with the knowledge would have, (and I was hoping, had), released such
info or a kit to the public. I would think that a proven design of at
least a few years old, would fetch a large amount of money in the boat
racing world, or with hobbiests.

Mark