BoatBanter.com

-   -   Is Butternat Lumber......... (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6498-butternat-lumber.html)

Jim Conlin January 10th 04 03:33 PM

Is Butternat Lumber.........

Lovely stuff. Relative to teak, mahogany or cherry, it's somewhat softer and
lighter in weight , but equally stable.

Ytter wrote:

Hi Everybody!
Has anyone used butternut wood to finish interior of the boat.Is it suitable
for this type of job?
Best Regards,
Ytter

steveJ January 12th 04 02:55 PM

Is Butternat Lumber.........

I have not used it in a boat but have built furniture such as shelving
from it. Butternut is rather soft. It is also only moderately decay
resistant.
Other woods might be better. I like Black locust but it's not readily
available. Black Walnut may also be a good choice. I've used black
cherry inside a boat too with good results.
These dark woods inside a boat seem to look best when used as edge
mouldings and trim against
white or cream colored areas.
I think you could use just about any wood though since it is inside.

Gregg Germain January 12th 04 03:34 PM

Is Butternat Lumber.........

Ytter wrote:
: Hi Everybody!
: Has anyone used butternut wood to finish interior of the boat.Is it suitable
: for this type of job?
: Best Regards,
: Ytter

Theplans for my Herreshoff S-Boat say that you can use either
Butternut or oak for the transom. I went with butternut because it's
lighter (early S-Boats were by teh stern slightly). It's fabulous
to work with and very nice looking.

Boatbuilder buddy of mine uses it for thwarts.

--- Gregg

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

"Improvise, adapt, overcome."