BoatBanter.com

-   -   Source for round thimbles? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6295-source-round-thimbles.html)

David & Margaret George November 11th 03 06:13 PM

Source for round thimbles?

Hi folks,

I was working on a ditty bag and am looking for some round thimbles with a
1/4 inch score. I have had no luck with the search engines and was hoping
someone here could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Dave G.

Jim Woodward November 11th 03 06:37 PM

Source for round thimbles?

Sailrite has round brass thimbles in four sizes.

www.sailrite.com

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..

David Platten November 12th 03 04:37 PM

Source for round thimbles?

I just made some out of 10mm (o.k. that's 3/8 inch) soft copper pipe
that's used by plumbers for central heating systems. You cut a 10mm
length, place it one end down on a hardwood block and gently bell out
the top with a hammer and the rounded head of a coachbolt. Then you
turn it over and do the same with the other end, if necessary after
passing it through the hole in your fabric. *However* there's a trick
which makes it easier. Fit a small stud (e.g. a piece of dowel) of
dia. = to i.d. of tube, into surface of hardwood block, projecting,
say, 3mm up from block face, and locate your thimble blank over this
stud when shaping.

Buying them is probably easier but this is more fun.

David & Margaret George November 13th 03 04:26 AM

Source for round thimbles?

Hi there,

Thank a bunch. Funny thing is I looked on their site and did not find them
the first time around.

May fair winds escort you. . .

.

Jim Woodward November 13th 03 11:40 AM

Source for round thimbles?

Sometimes paper is easier and faster -- I looked in their catalog....

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..