BoatBanter.com

-   -   Rotten Transom and frames, timbers, ribs (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/62327-rotten-transom-frames-timbers-ribs.html)

MarshallE November 4th 05 01:46 AM

Rotten Transom and frames, timbers, ribs

Hi,
My big old boat has a rotten stern. What are the current thoughts using the
diluted resin to soak into the wood instead of complete replacement?
thanks
Marshall

Brian Whatcott November 4th 05 03:05 AM

Rotten Transom and frames, timbers, ribs

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:46:53 GMT, "MarshallE"
wrote:

Hi,
My big old boat has a rotten stern. What are the current thoughts using the
diluted resin to soak into the wood instead of complete replacement?
thanks
Marshall

Not good.

Brian Whatcott

gregg November 5th 05 02:55 PM

MarshallE wrote:

Hi,
My big old boat has a rotten stern. What are the current thoughts using
the diluted resin to soak into the wood instead of complete replacement?
thanks
Marshall

You can't get to all surfaces of the rotted wood (like the fashion pieces
and wuarter knees) to get thourough penetration.

And even if you could you wouldn't get thorough penetration.

See my web page below for some transom replacement photos. It's not simple
but it was lots of fun.

Replicas of 15th-19th century nautical navigational instruments,
Restoration of my 1919 Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat, and
Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/index.html