BoatBanter.com

-   -   Homemade water tanks. (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6204-homemade-water-tanks.html)

William R. Watt October 24th 03 02:53 PM

Homemade water tanks.

If you can get some sheet plastic the same as used in plastic plumbing pipes
then the sovent they use to join the pipes would give you a waterproof seal
on the tank seams.

Backyard Renegade ) writes:
Hey folks, Scotty here.
What I am planning is some custom water tanks and such to be made to
fit inbetween two bulkheads. They will hold water for washing hands
and such, not necessarily drinking water. Any suggestions as to what
material and what adhesive/connectors to use to keep it watertight? I
was thinking some of that bathroom wall material they sell at Home
Depot, but would I use some kind of silicone, pvc cement, or would I
have to weld it, and if so, how?
Thanks for the input, Scotty

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Backyard Renegade October 27th 03 01:07 PM

Homemade water tanks.

(Drew Dalgleish) wrote in message Hi scotty I copied this from the rec.aviation.homebuilt group. It
just got posted a couple days ago. The author is fairly well respected
over there.
Drew Dalgleish

Riveted aluminum fuel tanks are smart. They're easy to build and
superbly
practical for the homebuilder since she can make them in whatever
shape she
needs...

SNIP
...For lo-buck builders, riveted, sealed and sloshed fuel tanks are a
practical
alternative to other methods of fabrication, their use so common we
tend to
forget others may not have heard of them.

-R.S.Hoover

PS - The ?xx' in the JCW item numbers is different for each catalog
but the
basic number stays the same.
Post a follow-up to this message

Google Home - Advertise with Us - Business Solutions - Services &
Tools - Jobs, Press, & Help

Thanks for all the input folks. I have bookmarked the website for
premade tanks and will take it into consideration, especially if I
need a grey water tank! However, I am a tinkerer so I will probably
get some new tools and fool with the other methods mentioned here too.
By next year, most of my livingspace furniture should be either
Aluminum or PVC... the wife should be thrilled, lot's of "ashtrays" in
the beginning I suppose. Gosh, I love buying new tools! ;)
Scotty from SmallBoats.com