BoatBanter.com

-   -   Redmond Whisp (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/5976-redmond-whisp.html)

Paul Squire August 24th 03 11:28 PM

Redmond Whisp

I have had Tim hill's book on my shelves for some years and am, at last,
heading towards the point where I can actually build a sharpie. It is to be
as light as possible so that it will be used, but large enough for the whole
family. Redmond's Whisp looks ideal weighing just 68lbs yet capable of
carrying 600lbs. What is the catch?

Anyway, can anyone tell me where I can get plans for Whisp?

Paul

Jim Conlin August 24th 03 11:56 PM

Redmond Whisp

At http://www.sredmond.com/index_boat.htm
There, Whisp's capacity is listed as 400 lbs.

steveJ December 22nd 03 03:09 AM

Redmond Whisp

This boat has very low freeboard. The weight capacity is less then 600
lbs. It is ok for one person but you will want greater freeboard.
This is a very light boat.

steveJ December 22nd 03 03:20 AM

Redmond Whisp

I checked the book "Ultralight Boatbuilding" by Tom Hill and it says
capacity is 600 lbs. I know one guy who built this very pretty boat.
600 lbs on a dead calm flat pond mabey, but not in the normal steep two
foot chop that developes regularly on Lake Champlain where this boat was
apparently intended to be used.

Chris Crandall December 23rd 03 04:09 AM

Redmond Whisp

It's true; Ive been in one. It's a one person boat, unless the second is
a kid, who doesn't mind the risk of getting very wet. Very, very
charming, though.

I'd build something else.

: steveJ wrote:
: This boat has very low freeboard. The weight capacity is less then 600
: lbs. It is ok for one person but you will want greater freeboard.
: This is a very light boat.
:
:

greensail January 14th 04 06:42 PM

Redmond Whisp

: Paul Squire wrote:
:
: I have had Tim hill's book on my shelves for some years and am, at last,
: heading towards the point where I can actually build a sharpie. It is
: to be
: as light as possible so that it will be used, but large enough for the
: whole
: family. Redmond's Whisp looks ideal weighing just 68lbs yet capable of
: carrying 600lbs. What is the catch?
:
: Anyway, can anyone tell me where I can get plans for Whisp?
:
: Paul
:
:
:

I sail a Whisp which I built about 5 years ago. It is a good boat for
a small family if you aren't too heavy - rowing that is. Sailing can
be a bit scary that way. It is easy to build, very light, though a bit
much for portaging. I fibreglassed the bottom of mine which added to
the weight. The real problem with the Whisp is the rig. It is too high
and doesn't always balance very well. A better rig for this kind of
boat would in principle be a lug yawl - all spars stow in boat, rig is
low and spread out. If I were to redo the project, I'd choose a boat
by Iain Oughtred, better thought out, better designs, better rigs. You
get what you pay for, and it's worth getting the best for the time
you'll spend on it.