BoatBanter.com

-   -   upping the hp on a outdrive (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/5939-re-upping-hp-outdrive.html)

Larry August 17th 03 12:08 AM

upping the hp on a outdrive

or would I have to get a different
outdrive for the higher hp?

If you ask a general question, you'll get a general answer.

Generally speaking you will not be able to almost double the HP without
creating reliability problems. But some drives are stronger than others.

How about giving us some specifics: Make/model of O/D?

Then maybe you will get the information you seek.

Larry

"NLC" wrote in message
m...
is it ok to replace a 120 hp engine with a 220 and keep the same
outdrive, just changing the prop, or would I have to get a different
outdrive for the higher hp? What is the difference between a outdrive
that comes with a 120 hp engine as opposed to a drive that comes with
a 220?

Thanks
NLC

Brian Whatcott August 17th 03 12:27 AM

upping the hp on a outdrive

On 16 Aug 2003 14:33:28 -0700, (NLC) wrote:

is it ok to replace a 120 hp engine with a 220 and keep the same
outdrive, just changing the prop, or would I have to get a different
outdrive for the higher hp? What is the difference between a outdrive
that comes with a 120 hp engine as opposed to a drive that comes with
a 220?

Thanks
NLC

Assuming you're talking Mercruiser - they all use similar bits - but
the 120 HP used a crown gear pair in the upper outer unit to provide
an overall ratio of 1:1.98
whereas the high horse versions used a gear ratio of 1:1.5

The gear pair can be ~$200. Then you need to find a prop for the boat
speed and top revs.

Brian Whatcott