BoatBanter.com

-   -   Foam? Styrofoam? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/5925-foam-styrofoam.html)

[email protected] August 14th 03 05:26 AM

Foam? Styrofoam?

Looking for foam...
Great Stuff is OK but doesn't go far.
Anyone know of a low-cost high-volume foam?
A friend mentioned "2-part styrofoam" and said it was used in packing
boxes (shipping ups, etc).
Want to fill canoe and a 21' boat for floatation. Hardness would be
nice too - but mainly water-proof fill is desired.
Thanks,
Elliot

Dan Kaiser August 14th 03 12:56 PM

Foam? Styrofoam?

I bought my 2-part flotation foam he

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

Hope this helps.

D a n

Jim Woodward August 14th 03 03:13 PM

Foam? Styrofoam?

You want foam in place polyurethane like this:
http://www.eps-systemsltd.com/

As you'll see, these guys are in the UK (our boat, Fintry, is there),
but finding a supplier over here should be no problem.

This is an absolutely standard application for bouyancy and for metal
boat insulation -- inert, water resistant, light.

You may find it easier to use urethane insulation from Home Depot (NOT
styrofoam) cut to size and glued in place with Great Stuff, but
foaming in place with a kit like the one above is the professional way
to go.

All sorts of cautions apply -- the stuff expands, so it would be easy
to burst a compartment while filling. It emits poisonous gases when
burning. Apply only in a cool, well ventilated place. Don't eat it.
Like Great Stuff, it makes a mess on your hands, unlike Great Stuff,
you can make a really big mess......

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com

Donald Phillips August 15th 03 02:09 PM

Foam? Styrofoam?

wrote:
Looking for foam...
Great Stuff is OK but doesn't go far.
Anyone know of a low-cost high-volume foam?
A friend mentioned "2-part styrofoam" and said it was used in packing
boxes (shipping ups, etc).
Want to fill canoe and a 21' boat for floatation. Hardness would be
nice too - but mainly water-proof fill is desired.
Thanks,
Elliot

I bought some spray in foam from the link below and had no problems.
Thought you might want to take a look.
http://www.fomofoam.com/Mine-Foam.html

Donald

--
I'm building a Steel Robert's 434. You can sneak a peek if you wish by
clicking on me link below.

Terry Sweet August 16th 03 07:01 AM

Foam? Styrofoam?

hi the Im a first time builder and I m hae a promblem, I went ahead and
build a 12ft styoform boat. The promblem that I have is that there is no way
to seal it to strenght and make it water tight.If there is any one out there
that knows what will seal it up , let me know.......Terry