BoatBanter.com

-   -   life-saving surfboat plans? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/5921-life-saving-surfboat-plans.html)

Jeffrey Breuer August 13th 03 04:16 AM

life-saving surfboat plans?

looking for info on those double-ended lapstrake life-saving rowboats
used by lifeguards, coast guard, etc., to get out through the surf. does
anyone know of any plans, sites, jpegs on the net? i'm thinking it
might be interesting to try to make one.

please also email me any responses -- not always able to reach this group.

many thanks for any info.

jeff

steve August 13th 03 08:43 PM

life-saving surfboat plans?

check out John Gardner's Dory Book, lots to chose from, includes plans.

steve

Backyard Renegade August 15th 03 01:55 AM

life-saving surfboat plans?

Jeffrey Breuer wrote in message ...
looking for info on those double-ended lapstrake life-saving rowboats
used by lifeguards, coast guard, etc., to get out through the surf. does
anyone know of any plans, sites, jpegs on the net? i'm thinking it
might be interesting to try to make one.

please also email me any responses -- not always able to reach this group.

many thanks for any info.

jeff

I should note that the site I am looking for sells plans for these
boats... Scotty, I will see if I can find it...

axolotl August 19th 03 03:47 AM

life-saving surfboat plans?

Dave Fleming wrote:
looking for info on those double-ended lapstrake life-saving rowboats
used by lifeguards, coast guard, etc., to get out through the surf.

The surfboats I think you are referring to are or were built by a few
builders on the New Jersey, USA,. shore.
Charles Hankins was one.

Do a book search for The Seabright Skiff

Surfboats are not generally double ended.

The Sea Bright Skiff by Dr. Peter Guthorn is an excellent read.

PBS made a show featuring Charles Hankins of Lavalette building his boats.

Audel's "Blueprint Reading" has the lines for a 16' Seaman Skiff.

These boats are still in use on the beach. You can come to the Jersey
shore and take off the lines in person.

Kevin Gallimore