BoatBanter.com

-   -   Canoe rebuilt with Epoxy (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/5809-canoe-rebuilt-epoxy.html)

Gary Wright July 22nd 03 03:09 AM

Canoe rebuilt with Epoxy

Dino,

I am hoping to have a professional do it for about $600 US or $1,000 Cdn.

Yeah, I thought that sounded about right, too, BEFORE I did the job. I
charged $1000(US), minus $600 for materials, divided by 314 hours - I made
$1.27 per hour on that job. Hope your 'professional' doesn't see this.

I'd rather be paddling than puddering.

That's why it was my last restoration.

Nice detail!! I suspect even my profession builder will no be doing that
kind of work!

It's interesting that in modern useage 'professional' craftsmanship is
generally considered to be superior to 'amature' - yet only amatures can
afford to put the time into a project that results in wages of $1.27 per
hour. I am astounded to pay $40-60-80 per hour shop rates to have a
'professional' repair my lawn mower, plumbing, or automobile. I wonder what
professional boat builders, who have equivalent skills and similar
investment in tools make?

If I had charged $40 per hour to restore the Old Town, the bottom line would
have been $13,160 (including materials at cost - most places add some profit
margins to their parts). I guess I should think about going pro.

--
Gary Wright
Springfield, MO

In article , "Dino &/or
Susan" wrote:

The Right Thing To Do.

Hard to argue.

My first (and last!) canvas restoration required 314 hours of my time (the
sponsons added some complexity over a normal job). I spent about $600 on
materials, including new decks, stems, 9 ribs, and 10 half ribs purchased
from Old Town.

I am hoping to have a professional do it for about $600 US or $1,000 Cdn.

I'd rather be paddling than puddering.

To see a cedar strip canoe I built, you can look at the pictures on my
auction at:

Nice detail!! I suspect even my profession builder will no be doing that
kind of work!

Regards.

Dino