BoatBanter.com

-   -   skin boats (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/5728-re-skin-boats.html)

Jim Hart July 1st 03 02:30 PM

skin boats

Joel Tobias wrote:

I lost track of this group for a couple of years, so my apoligies
ahead of time if this is a well beaten dead horse.
i am finishing up one of Platt Monfort's boats - a pure one with no
plywood - and am wondering about the advisability of reinforcing the
covering with hypalon or whatever - or even useing heavier heat shrink
nylon. I live in the Pacific Northwest and will be useing the boat in
lakes and the ocean. It will probably spend a fair amount of time on top
of my rig - so will have some UV exposure. but will be stored away from
UV.

Platt suggests 2 possibilities. "Monokote" film available from Tower
Hobbies and "Plastikote", a liquid rubbery substance available from
hardware stores. Both are mentioned on his web site, gaboats.com.

Brian Nystrom July 3rd 03 11:10 AM

skin boats

Jim Hart wrote:

Joel Tobias wrote:

I lost track of this group for a couple of years, so my apoligies
ahead of time if this is a well beaten dead horse.
i am finishing up one of Platt Monfort's boats - a pure one with no
plywood - and am wondering about the advisability of reinforcing the
covering with hypalon or whatever - or even useing heavier heat shrink
nylon. I live in the Pacific Northwest and will be useing the boat in
lakes and the ocean. It will probably spend a fair amount of time on top
of my rig - so will have some UV exposure. but will be stored away from
UV.

Platt suggests 2 possibilities. "Monokote" film available from Tower
Hobbies and "Plastikote", a liquid rubbery substance available from
hardware stores. Both are mentioned on his web site, gaboats.com.

If you want a tough coating, seal the fabric with a couple of coats of ZAR
satin polyurethane, then coat it with Gaco UA-7000 aliphatic urethane. This is
the method that Bill Low of Willow Kayaks uses and I can attest that his boats
are incredibly durable.

--
Regards

Brian