BoatBanter.com

-   -   West epoxy pumps (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/39368-west-epoxy-pumps.html)

Dave W June 11th 05 03:20 PM

West epoxy pumps

Has anyone found a way to prevent West pumps from failing to pump after
being stored for a while?

Brian D June 11th 05 08:34 PM

Experienced epoxy users will keep a spare set of pumps put away for just
that happenstance. It's just the nature of the beast and it really doesn't
matter which brand of epoxy you use. Another option is to use an epoxy pump
such as the Sticky Stuff Dispenser (see
http://www.michaelengineering.com/St...tuff/FrSSD.htm )

Brian

Roger Derby June 11th 05 08:55 PM

System Three recommended using one of those human solvents such as MEK.
I've had fair luck just heating the pump with a hot air gun. It's the same
crystallization you see in the resin, I think. Keeps the ball valves from
seating.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

Ron Magen June 12th 05 09:14 PM

Another little trick is to clean them with DENATURED ALCOHOL then warm soapy
water. Rinse well with water, then the alcohol for a fast dry.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

Jim Conlin June 13th 05 06:02 PM

I clean mine every now and then. Use acetone or other nasty solvent for the
resin pump and warm water for the hardener pump.