Jim Conlin

The ballast would be much safer if it were well up in the middle of the
boat.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Your problem got me curious so I did a search on keel bolts and there
is a plethora of info on the subject of inspecting and replacing keel
bolts. Owning a 28' boat, I have never had this problem because my
ballast is internal to the hull of my S2. Considering the difficulties
with bolt-on keels, why do they seem favored over good internal
ballast?
Now I cant stop and will become obsessed with finding a way to inspect
keel bolts...

Ron Magen

Dan,
FWIW . . .

IF it were MY boat, and this critical of a structure {with regard to the
results of a catastrophic failure}. . . I literally wouldn't trust MY eyes,
library research, and any non-viewers comments.

This may be one of those cases where the few dollars to hire a TRUE expert,
would be well spent. I would do a bit of research and find a GOOD, WELL
RECOMMENDED, local sailboat surveyor. Hire his expertise, and listen to his
opinion.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Daniel" wrote in message
Daniel wrote:
I recently hauled my boat and after few days I noticed allarming
coloured streaks oozing out of the thin crack (very thin and of little
concern by itself) between the keel and the hull.
The colour of the streaks is green-blueish, something that suggests
copper sulfate, and sort of shiny that suggests micro-cristals.

According to the boat makers the keel bolts are AISI 316 SS and the keel
is of lead.
The boat was made in 1978.
SNIP

Dave W

Manganese bronze is not a good choice for underwater. Silicon bronze is far
more stable.

FCC Director

If you wanted to keep the ballast really safe from sand bars and
reefs, you could just run it up the mast and hand it next to the sails
where it could be easily inspected from the deck!

BTW this IS sarcasm.
On Sat, 28 May 2005 00:59:18 -0400, "Jim Conlin"
wrote:

The ballast would be much safer if it were well up in the middle of the
boat.

wrote in message
roups.com...
Your problem got me curious so I did a search on keel bolts and there
is a plethora of info on the subject of inspecting and replacing keel
bolts. Owning a 28' boat, I have never had this problem because my
ballast is internal to the hull of my S2. Considering the difficulties
with bolt-on keels, why do they seem favored over good internal
ballast?
Now I cant stop and will become obsessed with finding a way to inspect
keel bolts...

FCC Director

Daniel,
If it is copper, it must be coming from somewhere. Does it leave a
green trail when a fragment is held in a torch flame? (Some lighters
are hot enough to get this effect.) Some ablative bottom paints use
copper to repel clingy living things. There might also be some copper
tube or pipe close enough to your boat that it can contribute like an
anode. It is possible that you have a stray current either within
your own boats grounding bond to the water, or with the surrounding
dock or other structure. The copper crystals could be formed like
those on a cathode in an aquious solution where copper is present.
The copper could be a seroius warning. Don't stop 'till you know
where it came from.
Good luck.
On Fri, 27 May 2005 08:20:26 GMT, Daniel
wrote:

Daniel wrote:
I recently hauled my boat and after few days I noticed allarming
coloured streaks oozing out of the thin crack (very thin and of little
concern by itself) between the keel and the hull.
The colour of the streaks is green-blueish, something that suggests
copper sulfate, and sort of shiny that suggests micro-cristals.

According to the boat makers the keel bolts are AISI 316 SS and the keel
is of lead.
The boat was made in 1978.

Do you have any suggestion? Do I have to drop the keel and check the
bolts? I would rather avoid it, if not really necessary.

Thank you
Daniel

Thankyou for all your kind replies.
Just to add a little more information:
1) the hull is fiberglass
2) still according to the manifacturer, the bolts are fixed in the lower
part with a washer and a nut embedded in the keel lead. It should be
possible to unfasten them.

I agree with dbohara: the colour of the ooze is quite puzzling: SS 316,
fiberglass, lead... where do copper cristals come from?

Anyway, my first try is going to be some inspection in the crack; this
weekend I will chisel off the outer layers of paint, putty end whatelse
on a limited zone to have a closer look at the interface between the
keel and the hull.

I'll keep you posted.

Daniel

Rebedding keel & backing up bolts [email protected] Boat Building 2 November 18th 04 06:08 AM
keel bolts nuts marklan General 1 July 19th 04 08:24 AM
'1978 25' hunter replace keel bolts James O'Brien Cruising 1 July 7th 04 02:56 AM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM
Leaking Keel Bolts? Rob General 5 November 5th 03 05:39 AM