BoatBanter.com

-   -   Teak Oil or varnish (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/38298-teak-oil-varnish.html)

kpk May 24th 05 12:59 PM

Teak Oil or varnish

Well , it's not a building boat question but I believe that you can help me
, if you can spend some time for me

I have a wooden speargun made by iroko wood and I don't know what to do.
Brush it by teak oil or brush it by varnish.
I want the piece of wood would be as resistant it can be , but I want to
keep the properties (flexibility) of wood

Thanks a lot

[email protected] May 24th 05 02:55 PM

Hi

For this you could consider wax. Now please correct my bad english, but
bee-wax , guess you know the stuff that even make candles ,are a very
nice alternative to oil and varnish. It will be soluted in terpentine
it even mix with linseed oil and polyurethane varnish , making the
varnish more soft and the oil more lasting. Beside you can work it by
polishing, it can be made melting and go even deeper , the only
drawback is that it don't like water but is easily polished -- it will
maintain the nice look of polished wood and is often a better choice
than varnish .

P.C.

Brian May 24th 05 06:57 PM

If you are planning on using the speargun then you might want to try a
couple of coats of 2 part polyurethane. Iroko is a good one for a spear gun
but the poly will give it a longer lasting finish.

Brian