BoatBanter.com

-   -   Gelcoat repairs ????? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/38268-gelcoat-repairs.html)

High Seas May 8th 05 11:50 PM

Gelcoat repairs ?????

Something I've never done is repair the gelcoat on a sailboat. But then
repairs may look like just that. I have a few chips and cracks in the
gelcoat of my boat and I'm looking for advice, product and methods of
repair. Anyone willing to venture into that realm ?
Many Thanks in advance.

Adam May 10th 05 04:30 PM

"High Seas" wrote in message
.. .
Something I've never done is repair the gelcoat on a sailboat. But then
repairs may look like just that. I have a few chips and cracks in the
gelcoat of my boat and I'm looking for advice, product and methods of
repair. Anyone willing to venture into that realm ?
Many Thanks in advance.

I'd thoroughly recommend "Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair" by Don Casey - I
bought mine via Amazon - the cover cost is US$21.95.

I've recently done some biggish fibreglass repairs to my deck and this book
really gave me the confidence to go ahead. I now would certainly have no
qualms about filling a few gelcoat cracks and chips - I suggest you get a
tube of gelcoat filler (it comes as a tube of paste and a tube of hardener
that you mix as per the instructions) and get stuck in. If you've ever used
car body filler it is exactly the same principle. The stuff I use is white,
but I believe you can get it in different colours.

You need to get a good surface for the paste to adhere to - for example with
a crack use a sharp edge and run along the crack to make a V-shape groove
(no need to go wide or deep, just key the surface), clean with acetone (I
use nail varnish remover, simply because my 3 daughters have the world's
supply) and fill with the paste. With a larger hole you need to ensure the
edges are clean and roughened up - on my boat I had to use a grinder to
bevel the edges of a large hole where I'd cut out a damaged area and
glassfibred to about 5mm from deck level - the new gelcoat went on top of
this repair. Note, you must not use gelcoat with epoxy resin - so if you
need to fill deep holes and intend gel-coating over the top you should use
polyester resin (the amber coloured stuff) and glass-fibre.

The new gelcoat surface will remain tacky for a long long time - although
you can rub it down once the gelcoat has gone off (a few hours at room
temperature). To make it cure fully you have to cover it - say with
cling-film and tape and leave for 24 hours. Rub down the repaired area and
re-fill until you are happy that it is fair, then gently sand and polish it
in.

I recommend you get the book first if you are at all apprehensive about
hacking at your boat. My old tub is great to work on because I do not mind
making mistakes - I'm learning as I go along. Good luck!

High Seas May 11th 05 02:50 AM

Adam wrote:
"High Seas" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Many Thanks
I'm looking for the book as soon as I finish posting this.
Thanks again.

Brian Nystrom May 11th 05 01:10 PM

High Seas wrote:
Something I've never done is repair the gelcoat on a sailboat. But then
repairs may look like just that. I have a few chips and cracks in the
gelcoat of my boat and I'm looking for advice, product and methods of
repair. Anyone willing to venture into that realm ?
Many Thanks in advance.

I've got some photos of gelcoat repair in a Webshots album at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_nystrom

They're of repairs on kayaks, but the basic principles are the same for
any type of boat.