BoatBanter.com

-   -   Fiberglassing anguish (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/34514-fiberglassing-anguish.html)

kenny April 25th 05 11:16 AM

I've worked with this stuff my whole life and built up to 57' hulls
with epoxy. I'm assuming your hull is wood, if so I would seal it with
a coat of epoxy after fully cured you need to remove the blush from it,
sand, white gas (dry cleaning fluid), even soap and water will remove
it but be careful water doesn't mix with any resins. The fiberglass
material you choose is important I would use a 6 to 10 ounce cloth if
your working alone 38" wide so you can handle it.Apply a roller coat of
epoxy to your boat drape or roll out your fiberglass into the epoxy use
all tools mentioned to apply your material to epoxy.

Brian Nystrom April 25th 05 03:52 PM

kenny wrote:
I've worked with this stuff my whole life and built up to 57' hulls
with epoxy. I'm assuming your hull is wood, if so I would seal it with
a coat of epoxy after fully cured you need to remove the blush from it,
sand, white gas (dry cleaning fluid), even soap and water will remove
it but be careful water doesn't mix with any resins.

Better yet, use non-blushing epoxy.

The fiberglass
material you choose is important I would use a 6 to 10 ounce cloth if
your working alone 38" wide so you can handle it.

Generally, 6 oz. is the heaviest anyone uses on a kayak. Heavier cloth
will not conform well to the contours, particularly at the bow and stern.