BoatBanter.com

-   -   caulking homemade mahogany hatches? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/29817-re-caulking-homemade-mahogany-hatches.html)

[email protected] April 1st 05 09:21 AM

caulking homemade mahogany hatches?

Hi
Yes you fill the gabs and sand the goob down, also a very very
important issue --- you make sure the goob only attach to the sides of
the gab not the bottom, as if it stick to the bottom it can not move
and then as you can se everywhere where this foult occour , the goop
will open at the sides.
Usealy you fill in a thin strip ,some even use a flat string push it
down to cover the bottom of the seam and then fill with goop ------
emagine it attached to only the sides then the mastic can follow any
swelling where attached to 3 sides it will eventually fail at one of
the sides causing a leak.

Wayne.B April 1st 05 02:31 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:59:06 -0800, bilgeman
wrote:
Hi, I made my own hatches but I'm not sure how to fill the gaps
(3/16"). I have 3M teak seal, I have BoatLife and I have black 5200.
Which would you recommend and when do you sand? Do you fill the gaps
proud and then sand the goop down? Doesn't that smoosh black stuff
into the wood? Also, do I finish the wood first, caulk and then
varnish over the caulking and all? Thanks as always and hurry on
spring.

Others may differ, but I would finish the wood first. Use masking
tape to protect adjacent areas from caulk, wear rubber gloves, press
the caulk into shape, and texture with your finger (spray the gloves
lightly with WD40 to prevent sticking). Allow to harden for an hour
or two and then carefully remove the masking tape.