BoatBanter.com

-   -   How to get rowlock rubbers onto an oar? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/26767-how-get-rowlock-rubbers-onto-oar.html)

Robin Hilliard January 2nd 05 07:43 AM

How to get rowlock rubbers onto an oar?

Does anyone know what to do to oar rubbers to get them onto an oar?
I've got this lovely, very practical full ring stainless rowlocks that
I want to use, but I'm going a bit spare trying to get the oar rubbers
on. I've searched everywhere, does anyone know the secret?

Thanks,
Robin

PS: This is pretty much my final building task on my 16' Ian Oughtred
Ness boat I started in 1996.

[email protected] January 2nd 05 09:31 PM

Not sure if this will work, but a trick I use to use for putting rubber
handlebar grips onto motorcycles was coat the inside of the grip with Gas, then
slide it on. Gas softened the rubber and when it evaporated left nothing
behind (unlike soap which tended to allow the grips to slide off as well as on
:-)

-al-

roups.com...

Twilk January 2nd 05 10:59 PM

I agree with the soap and water or use go jo.
Works like a champ putting the foam grips on fishing rods and shold do the
trick for your oars.

---

Garland Gray II January 3rd 05 03:13 AM

These sound like what I put on some oars about 15 yr ago, and my
recollection is that the directions said to roll them up, like a doughnut
and then roll them on the oar, making sure it is done the right direction.
One would need to work the doughnut in the right spot before unrolling it.

William R. Watt January 3rd 05 04:08 PM

WaIIy ) writes:
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:31:09 GMT, wrote:

Not sure if this will work, but a trick I use to use for putting rubber
handlebar grips onto motorcycles was coat the inside of the grip with Gas, then
slide it on. Gas softened the rubber and when it evaporated left nothing
behind (unlike soap which tended to allow the grips to slide off as well as on
:-)

-al-

Geez, you don't use gas for cycle grips, you use simple soap and water.

I don't know. I use WD-40 or penetrating oil to lubricate hose connections
and the rubber caps on ignition wires. On wooden oars I'd sooner try linseed
oil or cooking oil but have never put rubber stops on oars. Gasoline might
do bad things to the finish on finished oars.

homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Roger & Lorraine Martin January 4th 05 04:05 AM

Methylated spirits will do the job without the risk of damage that petrol
(gas) or petroleum oils do to rubber, soap stays put for awhile and will let
the rubbers slide up and down.

[email protected] January 4th 05 11:28 AM

Hi
A bit off/ topic but if you were asking about plastic tube it will not
be heat that make the profesional solution ------- there are a mix of
acetone and tricloretylene quite common chemicals that make magic . If
you ever tried this fluid you never use anything else when having
trouble with a hose even halve the diameter of what it shuld be .
Acetone alone can do the trick but is a bit to heavy , anyway if you
place a plastic hose in this solution the diameter can grow up 3 times
what it was, then just leave it there where you want to put it then
when the fluid are vapored out the plastic hose is back to the original
size and very tight.

P.C.

Courtney Thomas January 7th 05 03:28 AM

I've seen reference to methylated spirits on several occasions recently
and would like to know what it is, where do you get it and what's it
cost, please?

Thank you,
Courtney

--