BoatBanter.com

-   -   used sail material needed for scout projects (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/23541-used-sail-material-needed-scout-projects.html)

seascoutleader October 4th 04 08:09 PM

used sail material needed for scout projects

we are in need of scrap sail material, used sails and / or canvas for
scout projects. we are teaching basic sailmaking skills by creating
personal projcts such as gig bags, ditty bags, and sea anchors. any
suggestions or support is greatly appreciated

sea scout leader, portland, oregon

Wayne.B October 4th 04 08:32 PM

On 4 Oct 2004 12:09:34 -0700, (seascoutleader)
wrote:
we are in need of scrap sail material, used sails and / or canvas for
scout projects. we are teaching basic sailmaking skills by creating
personal projcts such as gig bags, ditty bags, and sea anchors. any
suggestions or support is greatly appreciated

I know of several sail makers on the east coast who had sail donation
programs to encourage new purchases. If you can find a sail maker in
your area willing to set up a similar program you could probably end
up with more material than you could use. I believe you could sell
your surplus inventory of donated sails after two years and use it as
a fund raiser.

John Atwood October 6th 04 01:36 AM

In article fVi8d.28586$cN6.19637@lakeread02,
Garland Gray II wrote:
Bacon's in Annapolis used to sell what they called "junk" sails for next to
nothing

"seascoutleader" wrote in message
. com...
we are in need of scrap sail material, used sails and / or canvas for
scout projects. we are teaching basic sailmaking skills by creating
personal projcts such as gig bags, ditty bags, and sea anchors. any
suggestions or support is greatly appreciated

sea scout leader, portland, oregon

http://www.boat-links.com/Tyvek/
I've also seen partial rolls of tyvek at a habitat-for-humanity resale
store.

John