BoatBanter.com

-   -   "Portable" stern thruster?? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/23363-%22portable%22-stern-thruster.html)

Everett September 29th 04 09:08 PM

"Portable" stern thruster??

Anyone know of a stern thruster which could bolt to or through the swim
step? I'm thinking of adding a ST to my GB-32 but would love to be able to
do so without a haulout or serious modfications to the boat.

Thanks,
Everett (Long Beach)

Stephen Baker September 29th 04 10:33 PM

Everett says:

Anyone know of a stern thruster which could bolt to or through the swim
step?

tongue somewhat in cheek
How 'bout a small outboard? Mount the bracket to the swim platform, pluink the
o/b on before it's required, ready for use. Hire small but capable kid to be
your "remote controls"
tongue out of cheek

Can't think of a better alternative right now. ;-)

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm

Bowgus September 30th 04 02:41 AM

Forget the outboard, just hand that hired kid a paddle :-)

For what it's worth, there are some electric (trolling) motors that are
wireless remote (up/down?, left/right, on/off speed) that might do the job
.... but the thrust required to move that size boat sideways ... ???

Everett says:

Wayne.B September 30th 04 04:35 AM

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:41:27 -0400, "Bowgus"
wrote:

... but the thrust required to move that size boat sideways ... ???

=================================

In a strong crosswind ???

The remote trolling motor idea might work in calm conditions but
that's not when you're going to need it. Spring lines and directed
rudder thrust are your friends.

Evan Gatehouse September 30th 04 07:16 AM

"Everett" wrote in message
Anyone know of a stern thruster which could bolt to or through the swim
step? I'm thinking of adding a ST to my GB-32 but would love to be able

do so without a haulout or serious modfications to the boat.

Thanks,
Everett (Long Beach)

I think Dickson makes one - but stern thrusters are not cheap and the
haulout cost will be the least of the expense.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

[email protected] October 3rd 04 02:37 AM

"Everett" wrote in message ...
Anyone know of a stern thruster which could bolt to or through the swim
step? I'm thinking of adding a ST to my GB-32 but would love to be able to
do so without a haulout or serious modfications to the boat.

Why? Might it actually be a boat handling problem?