BoatBanter.com

-   -   gm 6-71 (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/21836-gm-6-71-a.html)

Stephen Scheiding August 23rd 04 12:33 AM

gm 6-71

can anyone tell me where the engine coolant sacrifical zincs are
located. i need to change mine. model gm 6-71n, marinized by johnson
towers.
thanks,
stephen scheiding

Wayne.B August 23rd 04 12:30 PM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:33:57 GMT, (Stephen Scheiding)
wrote:
can anyone tell me where the engine coolant sacrifical zincs are
located. i need to change mine. model gm 6-71n, marinized by johnson
towers.

================================

You might want to ask the question on the "71-series" forum at:

http:
www.boatdiesel.com

There are a lot of Detroit Diesel experts on there.

Steve Lusardi August 24th 04 06:14 AM

Stephen,
There are several and the locations depend on the cooling system used. If it
is a heat exchanger or keel cooler, the fresh water magnesiums are in the
expansion tank casting on either side. On heat exchanger systems, the
sal****er Zincs are in the tank to element adapter castings on both sides
where the salt water enters and leaves the exchanger. These will appear to
be 1/2" pipe plugs.
Steve\

Stephen Scheiding August 25th 04 06:19 AM

thanks for the info guys. just what the doctor ordered!

steve