BoatBanter.com

-   -   Okoume is it oak ? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/133998-okoume-oak.html)

Yaasaay June 18th 11 05:01 PM

Okoume is it oak ?

hi guys

in our region there is kind of wood called oak and when I say Okoume
people think I mean oak and I don't if I am wrong or they are wrong I don't sure if the name is diffident and oak, Okoume is the same wood

the question is plywood Okoume is from oak?or there is difference between them ?

thanks

Bruce[_3_] June 19th 11 01:09 AM

Okoume is it oak ?

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 17:01:19 +0100, Yaasaay
wrote:

hi guys

in our region there is kind of wood called oak and when I say Okoume
people think I mean oak and I don't if I am wrong or they are wrong I
don't sure if the name is diffident and oak, Okoume is the same wood

the question is plywood Okoume is from oak?or there is difference
between them ?

thanks

Unless you are writing from Africa Okoume probably doesn't grow around
where you are from:

Aucoumea klaineana (Angouma, Gaboon, or Okoume) is a tree in the
family Burseraceae, native to equatorial west Africa in Gabon, the
Republic of the Congo, and Rio Muni. It is a medium-sized hardwood
tree growing to 30-40 m tall, rarely larger, with a trunk 1-2.5 m
diameter above the often large basal buttresses. The tree generally
grows in small stands, the roots of the trees intertwined with
neighboring trees. In Gabon it is the primary timber species.
Cheers,

Bruce

Wayne B July 4th 11 04:39 AM

Okoume is it oak ?

wrote:

in our region there is kind of wood called oak and when I say Okoume
people think I mean oak and I don't if I am wrong or they are wrong I
don't sure if the name is diffident and oak, Okoume is the same wood

They are very different. Okume is mostly used to build lightweight,
high strength plywood which is excellent for boat building. You will
probably have to order it from a specialty lumber company.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=988&bih=574&q=okoume+ma rine+plywood&oq=okume+&aq=2s&aqi=g-s6g3g-s1&aql=undefined&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=2163l4537l0l6l6l0l 0l0l0l261l1141l0.3.3l6

or

http://tinyurl.com/3oaq7hq

LipseHamysype November 25th 11 02:23 AM