BoatBanter.com

-   -   how shallow is unsafe for outdrive/outboard? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/125445-how-shallow-unsafe-outdrive-outboard.html)

Harryk March 2nd 11 09:22 PM

how shallow is unsafe for outdrive/outboard?

On 3/2/11 6:50 PM, dmo@omd. wrote:
hi,

i'm wondering where the water intake is for the cooling system on outdrives and
outboards. it seems that it should be far enough up that it wouldn't be in much
danger of sucking up sand, but someone recently warned me to be a lot more
careful about not starting an engine when the prop is resting on the sand. how
low is the intake?

Look for intake vents between what is usually called the cavitation
plate and the pointy bottom of the skeg. The intakes typically are right
in that area. I would be wary of starting an engine while the proper is
"resting on the sand."

HarryisPaul March 2nd 11 09:46 PM

how shallow is unsafe for outdrive/outboard?

In article ,
says...

On 3/2/11 6:50 PM, dmo@omd. wrote:
hi,

i'm wondering where the water intake is for the cooling system on outdrives and
outboards. it seems that it should be far enough up that it wouldn't be in much
danger of sucking up sand, but someone recently warned me to be a lot more
careful about not starting an engine when the prop is resting on the sand. how
low is the intake?

Look for intake vents between what is usually called the cavitation
plate and the pointy bottom of the skeg. The intakes typically are right
in that area. I would be wary of starting an engine while the proper is
"resting on the sand."

What's a "proper" idiot?

L G[_27_] March 3rd 11 01:04 AM

Harryk wrote:
On 3/2/11 6:50 PM, dmo@omd. wrote:
hi,

i'm wondering where the water intake is for the cooling system on
outdrives and
outboards. it seems that it should be far enough up that it wouldn't
be in much
danger of sucking up sand, but someone recently warned me to be a lot
more
careful about not starting an engine when the prop is resting on the
sand. how
low is the intake?

Look for intake vents between what is usually called the cavitation
plate and the pointy bottom of the skeg. The intakes typically are
right in that area. I would be wary of starting an engine while the
proper is "resting on the sand."

Who usually calls it that? I've never owned an OB with a cavitation
plate and I've owned almost a dozen.

mmc March 3rd 11 01:21 PM

how shallow is unsafe for outdrive/outboard?

"HarryisPaul" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

On 3/2/11 6:50 PM, dmo@omd. wrote:
hi,

i'm wondering where the water intake is for the cooling system on
outdrives and
outboards. it seems that it should be far enough up that it wouldn't be
in much
danger of sucking up sand, but someone recently warned me to be a lot
more
careful about not starting an engine when the prop is resting on the
sand. how
low is the intake?

Look for intake vents between what is usually called the cavitation
plate and the pointy bottom of the skeg. The intakes typically are right
in that area. I would be wary of starting an engine while the proper is
"resting on the sand."

What's a "proper" idiot?
======
you?

I_am_Tosk March 3rd 11 04:00 PM

how shallow is unsafe for outdrive/outboard?

In article ,
says...

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

On 3/3/11 10:28 AM, True North wrote:

"I_am_Tosk" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

In article , princecraft49
@gmail.com says...

"Neville" wrote in message
b.com...

On 3/3/2011 8:47 AM, True North wrote:

g.com...

On 3/2/11 6:50 PM, dmo@omd. wrote:
hi,

i'm wondering where the water intake is for the cooling system
on
outdrives and
outboards. it seems that it should be far enough up that it
wouldn't be in much

Sorry for the cross post, I hadn't noticed Harry stalking me in a
crossposted thread... I will be more careful...

Bob La Londe[_5_] March 3rd 11 04:39 PM

On 3/2/2011 4:50 PM, dmo@omd. wrote:
hi,

i'm wondering where the water intake is for the cooling system on outdrives and
outboards. it seems that it should be far enough up that it wouldn't be in much
danger of sucking up sand, but someone recently warned me to be a lot more
careful about not starting an engine when the prop is resting on the sand. how
low is the intake?

Depends on the motor too. Optimax ProXSs are particular susceptible to
plugging. They have two issues.

One if the motor does not come up to full temperature before running it
up to WOT in cold water it is at risk of seizing a piston. If the motor
picks up sand and gravel at the wrong time it can stick in the
thermostats preventing them from closing. If they do not close the
engine may not come up to full temperature the next time it cools down
and is started.

Also, the water bypass (****er) circuit is responsible for cooling the
air pump. The ****er exit port has a sharp bend internally and small
particles tend to stick at that point closing off the hole. When this
happens water does not flow through the air pump and you get an air pump
overheat warning.

Since a lot of (most?) of this series of motor has low water pickups to
maintain pressure at higher running heights of the motor, starting with
the prop on or near sand is almost guaranteed to cause it to pickup sand
and gravel.

I am sure other motors may have similar or different issues with sand
and gravel.

Boating All Out March 3rd 11 05:26 PM

how shallow is unsafe for outdrive/outboard?

In article ,
says...

"see if they call it same"?? Looks like our little spelling pig, is so
eager to save the pedophile pig, he forgot a word or two here;) It's
what happens when "fleabaggers" drag their knuckles over to the keyboard
so spew their bigoted racist bullcrap...

Kudos for saying "bullcrap" instead of "bull****."
Shows your Christian civility and that there's no need for cussing.
Nice touch.

Alex March 26th 11 06:21 AM

On 3/2/11 6:50 PM, dmo@omd. wrote:
hi,

i'm wondering where the water intake is for the cooling system on
outdrives and
outboards. it seems that it should be far enough up that it wouldn't be
in much
danger of sucking up sand, but someone recently warned me to be a lot
more
careful about not starting an engine when the prop is resting on the
sand. how
low is the intake?

Look for intake vents between what is usually called the cavitation
plate and the pointy bottom of the skeg. The intakes typically are right
in that area. I would be wary of starting an engine while the proper is
"resting on the sand."

What's a "proper" idiot?

What is it about Newsgroups that prompts some people to be both hostile and
unhelpful?

OmDeFlume March 26th 11 12:42 PM

how shallow is unsafe for outdrive/outboard?

On 3/26/2011 2:21 AM, Alex wrote:
wrote in message
In ,
says...

On 3/2/11 6:50 PM, dmo@omd. wrote:
[...]

You must be referring to Harry Krause. He is nasty by nature and he is
unhelpful because he knows little, of value, about boats. I look forward
to having many productive boating discussions with you, Alex. Welcome
aboard.