BoatBanter.com

-   -   Shortening of Teleflex cable - possible or what (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/116126-shortening-teleflex-cable-possible-what.html)

Ole Skovrup June 29th 10 02:55 PM

Shortening of Teleflex cable - possible or what

Hello dear boatsmen

I just bought a Teleflex cable for a very modest price - but it is about a
meter (3') too long.
Has any of you DIY types tried shortening the coil or rod end of a Teleflex
cable?
And how did it turn out?
Dos and don'ts very much appreciated.

Fair winds
Ole, DK

Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] June 30th 10 02:17 AM

Shortening of Teleflex cable - possible or what

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:55:07 -0500, Ole Skovrup ocsATpost10.tele.dk
wrote:

Hello dear boatsmen

I just bought a Teleflex cable for a very modest price - but it is about a
meter (3') too long.
Has any of you DIY types tried shortening the coil or rod end of a Teleflex
cable?
And how did it turn out?
Dos and don'ts very much appreciated.

Fair winds
Ole, DK

Frankly I can't see how you can shorted a Morse type teleflex cable
successfully as the solid rod ends moving in the solid tubes at the
end are what allows the cable to both push and pull.

However, I have seen cables effectively shortened by installing them
with an "S" bend or loop which, if the bends aren't too sharp seemed
to work - sort of - o.k.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Ole Skovrup June 30th 10 07:41 AM

Shortening of Teleflex cable - possible or what

Hi Bruce
I suscpected as much - the whole thing depends on the integrity of the
mantle and the fixing points - don't think I can recreate the joining of
the end and rod fittings.
But thanks for answering.
Any optimists ot there ;-)
Fair winds
Ole

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

Bob La Londe July 2nd 10 06:13 AM

"Ole Skovrup" ocsATpost10.tele.dk wrote in message
Hello dear boatsmen

I just bought a Teleflex cable for a very modest price - but it is about a
meter (3') too long.
Has any of you DIY types tried shortening the coil or rod end of a
Teleflex
cable?
And how did it turn out?
Dos and don'ts very much appreciated.

Since you got a great deal on the cable its easy. If you had paid full
price I couldn't help.

1. Goto Ebay.
2. Click on Sell.
3. List cable for a modest profit.
4. Search for Teleflex cable terms "3' shorter than mine."
5. Click on buy.
6. Pocket the difference.

Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] July 2nd 10 12:36 PM

Shortening of Teleflex cable - possible or what

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 22:13:41 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Ole Skovrup" ocsATpost10.tele.dk wrote in message
Hello dear boatsmen

I just bought a Teleflex cable for a very modest price - but it is about a
meter (3') too long.
Has any of you DIY types tried shortening the coil or rod end of a
Teleflex
cable?
And how did it turn out?
Dos and don'ts very much appreciated.

Since you got a great deal on the cable its easy. If you had paid full
price I couldn't help.

1. Goto Ebay.
2. Click on Sell.
3. List cable for a modest profit.
4. Search for Teleflex cable terms "3' shorter than mine."
5. Click on buy.
6. Pocket the difference.

See? Them Bass Boat guys know about things like teleflex cables :-)

Bob La Londe July 13th 10 05:04 PM

wrote:

"Ole Skovrup" ocsATpost10.tele.dk wrote in message
.. .
Hello dear boatsmen

I just bought a Teleflex cable for a very modest price - but it is about
meter (3') too long.
Has any of you DIY types tried shortening the coil or rod end of a
Teleflex
cable?
And how did it turn out?
Dos and don'ts very much appreciated.

Since you got a great deal on the cable its easy. If you had paid full
price I couldn't help.

1. Goto Ebay.
2. Click on Sell.
3. List cable for a modest profit.
4. Search for Teleflex cable terms "3' shorter than mine."
5. Click on buy.
6. Pocket the difference.

See? Them Bass Boat guys know about things like teleflex cables :-)

Cheers,

Bruce

Been a while since I checked this group. Figured you would be the one to
appreciate my humor if anybody did though. ;^)