BoatBanter.com

-   -   Strength of a steel 55 Gal drum (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/115175-strength-steel-55-gal-drum.html)

[email protected] April 25th 10 12:28 AM

Strength of a steel 55 Gal drum

Does anyone here know off hand how much a steel 55 gal drum can
support? I'm going to take my boat (approx 4,000 lbs) off the trailer
and I'm looking at options. I have two drums in reasonably good
condition that I can use in the rear and I'll use concrete blocks
forward.
I've never used drums before and I keep getting a mental image of what
happens to a beer can when I stomp on the top of it. I've seen other
people use drums though. But I never really thought much of the idea
before now. Are two of them strong enough to support half the weight
of a 4,000 lb boat for a week or two?
TIA,
Rick

Wayne.B April 25th 10 02:07 AM

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:28:37 -0500, lid wrote:

Does anyone here know off hand how much a steel 55 gal drum can
support? I'm going to take my boat (approx 4,000 lbs) off the trailer
and I'm looking at options. I have two drums in reasonably good
condition that I can use in the rear and I'll use concrete blocks
forward.
I've never used drums before and I keep getting a mental image of what
happens to a beer can when I stomp on the top of it. I've seen other
people use drums though. But I never really thought much of the idea
before now. Are two of them strong enough to support half the weight
of a 4,000 lb boat for a week or two?
TIA,
Rick

I suspect that the answer may depend on whether or not the drums are
full or empty. Just a guess on my part.

Why not rent or borrow some Brownell boat stands? I know from past
experience jacking up my old Cal-34 that each stand is good for at
least 2,500 lbs.

[email protected] April 25th 10 03:12 AM

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:07:06 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:
I suspect that the answer may depend on whether or not the drums are
full or empty. Just a guess on my part.

Why not rent or borrow some Brownell boat stands? I know from past
experience jacking up my old Cal-34 that each stand is good for at
least 2,500 lbs.

They're empty at the moment. But I can spare 110 gallons of water if
need be. I hadn't thought of that.

I'd rather use boat stands for sure. But the two boat yards I've
always depended on here were swept clean in Katrina and didn't come
back. Not sure where I could find stands here locally. I can check
around on Monday though. Just occured to me that the owner of one of
the rental centers here is a boat guy. Maybe he 'em. Or maybe I can
convince him to buy some. I'm not the only one here with this problem
and he'd have the market cornered. lol!

Brian Whatcott April 25th 10 05:40 PM

lid wrote:
Does anyone here know off hand how much a steel 55 gal drum can
support? I'm going to take my boat (approx 4,000 lbs) off the trailer
and I'm looking at options. I have two drums in reasonably good
condition that I can use in the rear and I'll use concrete blocks
forward.
I've never used drums before and I keep getting a mental image of what
happens to a beer can when I stomp on the top of it. I've seen other
people use drums though. But I never really thought much of the idea
before now. Are two of them strong enough to support half the weight
of a 4,000 lb boat for a week or two?
TIA,
Rick

I did a quick scan for strength properties of 55 gal steel cans.
55 gal can crushers feature forces from 3.8 tons to 20 tons (but they
need to compress to around 6 inches, which increases the force required.)
On the other hand, compressive force allowables are harder to find. I
saw one figure of 1800 lb mentioned which probably carries a safety
factor...

Your estimated load of 1000 lb per can, particularly if you can put some
load spreader on top - a plank or small ply sheet - should give no
problems.

I notice my kid's Hunter 25 ft up for scrape and paint this week, was
supported on a few spindly 1.5 inch diameter jack stands at the pro yard.

Brian W

[email protected] April 25th 10 06:48 PM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:40:00 -0500, brian whatcott wrote:
I did a quick scan for strength properties of 55 gal steel cans.
55 gal can crushers feature forces from 3.8 tons to 20 tons (but they
need to compress to around 6 inches, which increases the force required.)
On the other hand, compressive force allowables are harder to find. I
saw one figure of 1800 lb mentioned which probably carries a safety
factor...

Your estimated load of 1000 lb per can, particularly if you can put some
load spreader on top - a plank or small ply sheet - should give no
problems.

I notice my kid's Hunter 25 ft up for scrape and paint this week, was
supported on a few spindly 1.5 inch diameter jack stands at the pro yard.

Brian W

Good info to know. Thanks.
Normally, I would rest the boat's weight on the keel so the stands (or
drums) would be there more for balance than support. But my boat has
a stub keel that houses a centerboard and I'll need working room
underneath it to lower the centerboard at least partially. So that's
why the weight will all be on the stands/drums.
And thanks.....
Rick

Wayne.B April 26th 10 01:15 AM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:48:06 -0500, lid wrote:

Good info to know. Thanks.
Normally, I would rest the boat's weight on the keel so the stands (or
drums) would be there more for balance than support. But my boat has
a stub keel that houses a centerboard and I'll need working room
underneath it to lower the centerboard at least partially. So that's
why the weight will all be on the stands/drums.
And thanks.....

On a humorous note, quick calculations reveal that if you fill each
drum with concrete and rebar, they should support in excess of
2,000,000 lbs each. :-)

[email protected] April 26th 10 01:40 AM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 20:15:17 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:
On a humorous note, quick calculations reveal that if you fill each
drum with concrete and rebar, they should support in excess of
2,000,000 lbs each. :-)

I'll make note of that. It'll be useful for when I began work on my
houseboat conversion plan from a decommissioned aircraft carrier. :-)

Shanghai April 26th 10 05:08 AM

Strength of a steel 55 Gal drum

If you fill them, I'd use something like sand or dirt.

I had 4 drums filled with wheel balancing weights. Each drum held
about 1800 lbs. The sat outside for several years and developed some
rust. I was able to pick them up without the bottoms falling out. Of
course that is the opposite direction of the force you're talking
about.