Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building

Default Polyester and Epoxy

On Jan 6, 11:02*am, "My news" wrote:
It will be cheaper for them if they can eliminate the dugout canoe and will
save them time to build the boat. I asked some boat makers in the south of
manila that their waiting time for the dugout canoe is about four to five
months. The price is not cheap for a very crude work that they still have to
finish. It is the most expensive part of the boat and mostly came from
illegal cutting.
You can see from the link I provided earlier that the price of the boat can
go up to 3000 dollars which is not affordable for many native filipinos.

I have on my desk at home a couple of articles from early issues of
the CoEvolution Quarterly about the work John Todd was doing in
Central America with similar aims. He had a boat designed that would
be the sea going "pick-up" for indigenous people. You may be able to
find some information on this project although I haven't seen much
online. (I may rectify that soon however.) As I remember there turned
out to be quite a strong reaction against his efforts from entrenched,
wealthy interests that did not want any sort of socio-economic
progress happening 'round those parts.