BoatBanter.com

-   -   Tunnel Hull Question (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/100818-tunnel-hull-question.html)

William Johnston December 14th 08 10:48 PM

Tunnel Hull Question

I have just completed a Clark Craft TU 14. This is an all wood 14 ft. tunnel hull boat. I installed a 50 H.P. Johnson outboard with electric trim. My problem is at medium throttle I have water coming over the transom. It seems that the water coming thru the tunnel at low speeds hits the motor shaft housing and shoots straight up, hitting the motor mount and gushing over the transom. Is this common with tunnel hulls and what is the cure ?

Brian Whatcott December 15th 08 02:50 AM

Tunnel Hull Question

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 22:48:55 +0000, William Johnston
wrote:

I have just completed a Clark Craft TU 14. This is an all wood 14 ft.
tunnel hull boat. I installed a 50 H.P. Johnson outboard with electric
trim. My problem is at medium throttle I have water coming over the
transom. It seems that the water coming thru the tunnel at low speeds
hits the motor shaft housing and shoots straight up, hitting the motor
mount and gushing over the transom. Is this common with tunnel hulls
and what is the cure ?

Try adjusting the outboard's height. It has a spray plane above the
prop which might cut the splash down.

Brian W

LSaupe September 2nd 12 11:55 AM

Greetings:

I know this is an old post but wanted to touch base. Have you solve this issue?

One item would be where your prop shaft is relative to the sponson bottom surfaces. My guess is that this shoud be about even (using a prop capable of surfacing).

Setback might be an option as well.

I just purchased my own set of plans for this boat. Have you been happy with it so far?

Thanks and Regards,

Larry S.
Galway, NY

[email protected] November 10th 16 08:38 PM

Tunnel Hull Question

--
William Johnston

Hi William, I am curious about your experiences with the Clark Craft TU 14. Would you be kind enough to e-mail me at . I have a Glen-l "Flying Saucer" and am considering the TU14. Thanks, Joe