BoatBanter.com

-   -   fixing my Garmin 76 GPS (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/86297-fixing-my-garmin-76-gps.html)

Frogwatch September 17th 07 01:08 PM

fixing my Garmin 76 GPS

I wanted to pass on a method I used to fix my handheld Garmin GPS 76
that might be useful for similar units. One of the push buttons had
come out meaning that I could no longer access that function without
pushing something into the unit to press the membrane pad where the
switch had been. I squirted a little 3m5200 into the hole to form a
new "button" and it is just flexible enough to form a good button for
pressing the membrane AND it re-seals the unit to make it waterproof
again.

Froggie September 17th 07 01:47 PM

fixing my Garmin 76 GPS

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ups.com...
I wanted to pass on a method I used to fix my handheld Garmin GPS 76
that might be useful for similar units. One of the push buttons had
come out meaning that I could no longer access that function without
pushing something into the unit to press the membrane pad where the
switch had been. I squirted a little 3m5200 into the hole to form a
new "button" and it is just flexible enough to form a good button for
pressing the membrane AND it re-seals the unit to make it waterproof
again.

Did you check with Garmin to see if it was still under warrantee? They are
pretty good like that. I had a problem with my GPSMAP 76CS when I hooked it
into the circuitry with my Cobra VHF Radio using the data line. It wouldn't
boot up when I turned on the main power unless I disconnected the external
power/data line plug first, booted it up on its battery power, then
reconnected the plug. On talking to one of the Garmin reps, I was told it
shouldn't do that and to send it back for evaluation at the end of the
boating season. They were able to recreate the problem and sent me a brand
spankin' new one. BTW, this was long after my warrantee expired.

Chuck Gould September 17th 07 03:31 PM

fixing my Garmin 76 GPS

On Sep 17, 6:04?am, "Scotty" wrote:
doesn't 5200 harden after a week or two?

Only when exposed to moisture. :-)

Wayne.B September 17th 07 03:37 PM

fixing my Garmin 76 GPS

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:04:52 -0400, "Scotty" wrote:

doesn't 5200 harden after a week or two?

It always maintains a rubber like quality even after it cures.

Frogwatch September 17th 07 03:48 PM

fixing my Garmin 76 GPS

On Sep 17, 10:37 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:04:52 -0400, "Scotty" wrote:
doesn't 5200 harden after a week or two?

It always maintains a rubber like quality even after it cures.

Even better is that this was a small tube of 5200 that I found on the
side of the road on last years coastal cleanup.

Wilbur Hubbard September 17th 07 05:11 PM

fixing my Garmin 76 GPS

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ups.com...
I wanted to pass on a method I used to fix my handheld Garmin GPS 76
that might be useful for similar units. One of the push buttons had
come out meaning that I could no longer access that function without
pushing something into the unit to press the membrane pad where the
switch had been. I squirted a little 3m5200 into the hole to form a
new "button" and it is just flexible enough to form a good button for
pressing the membrane AND it re-seals the unit to make it waterproof
again.

Garmin = garbage! I "fixed" my Garmin 76 (what a piece of crap!) by
tossing the overpriced, shoddy thing overboard in frustration about two
years ago.

Then I bought a Lowrance I-Finder H2Oc. Haven't had the first thing go
wrong with it. And it's better in every way than the Garbage Garmin

Wilbur Hubbard