BoatBanter.com

-   -   The Yucatan Channel (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/84973-yucatan-channel.html)

Joe August 15th 07 10:13 PM

The Yucatan Channel

Anyone ever hear of the Cuban countercurrent in the Yucatan channel?

If so is it all in Cuban waters?

I can not find much on it..nothing on the pilot charts I have.

Joe

Wilbur Hubbard August 15th 07 10:27 PM

The Yucatan Channel

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
Anyone ever hear of the Cuban countercurrent in the Yucatan channel?

If so is it all in Cuban waters?

I can not find much on it..nothing on the pilot charts I have.

Joe

And you probably won't find much about it because the countercurrent
isn't a surface current. It consists of a deep southerly current near
the coast of Cuba between about 500 to a thousand meters. You'll never
know it's there unless you drive a submarine.

Wilbur Hubbard

Joe August 15th 07 10:30 PM

The Yucatan Channel

On Aug 15, 4:22 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:13:32 -0700, Joe wrote:
Anyone ever hear of the Cuban countercurrent in the Yucatan channel?

If so is it all in Cuban waters?

I can not find much on it..nothing on the pilot charts I have.

Joe

http://oceancurrents.rsmas.miami.edu...n/yucatan.html

No wonder.....Sheeze...500 and 1500 m depth.

Not much help to a sailor heading south.... unless he's sailing a
submarine.

Joe

roger[_2_] August 16th 07 02:57 PM

The Yucatan Channel

On Aug 15, 5:13 pm, Joe wrote:
Anyone ever hear of the Cuban countercurrent in the Yucatan channel?

If so is it all in Cuban waters?

I can not find much on it..nothing on the pilot charts I have.

Joe

Yup. My understanding is that it is on the eastern side of the Yucatan
south of cuba and flows west to east?