BoatBanter.com

-   -   Sailing on the Hudson (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/81366-sailing-hudson.html)

[email protected] June 7th 07 12:36 AM

Sailing on the Hudson

There are some cool sailing clubs surprisingly far up the Hudson
River. At Nyack, Tarrytown, and Haverstraw, it is quite wide with good
steady wind but there is a lot of current. We watched a PHRF race out
of Haverstraw and picked the winner in the first 300 yards of the
first beat... this little red boat played the current smartly while
most of the rest either tacked up the middle or just sailed across the
whole river.

Then, farther upstream (after we passed thur the Hudson Highlands
which are beautiful) we watched a Tripp 26 being singlehanded (set a
blade jib & main) kicking a J-24's butt with a crew of 5 scrambling
with genoa & spinnaker etc etc. Of course, given the ratings of the
boats, that's what should have happened ;)

Then at Kingston I got a chance to talk to some other folks who had
just come in from a race, lighter air this time but still a ot of
current. The jetties at Rondout Creek make the current a little bit
easier to figure out. There are enough Merit 22s to form a class and a
lot af Ensigns.

I've already picked out spots to look out for active sailing and am
hoping to join in before we finish this cruise.

http://dnkcruising.blogspot.com/

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Frogwatch June 7th 07 05:45 AM

Sailing on the Hudson

On Jun 6, 7:36 pm, wrote:
[...]

I have a business associate who sails from a club in Nyack. A couple
times I have been up to see them, they took me sailing and they seemed
to have a lot of room to sail too. We sailed with the Tappan Zee
bridge in the background and the skyline of NYC int he distance. It
was a big change from sailing the N. Gulf of Mexico with nothing on
the horizon.

Bart June 7th 07 10:24 PM

Sailing on the Hudson

It seems to me, you should plan your whole
cruise around sailing clubs and races!

Bart

P.S Thanks for the pics