BoatBanter.com

-   -   Sail trim from the pilothouse (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/78748-re-sail-trim-pilothouse.html)

Bob Crantz March 3rd 07 12:03 AM

Sail trim from the pilothouse

My old man used to say that sailing from a pilothouse was like driving a bus
from the rear.

Does the pilothouse have skylights?

Glory!

Wilbur Hubbard March 3rd 07 12:10 AM

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
My old man used to say that sailing from a pilothouse was like driving
a bus from the rear.

Does the pilothouse have skylights?

Glory!

It seems to me sailing from a pilot house is illegal. How can anybody
comply with Colregs rule 5 while inside the pilothouse.

RULE 5 Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and
hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing
circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the
situation and of the risk of collision.

You can't hear things well inside a pilot house for one and for another
you just can't maintain a proper lookout by sight with the structure
blocking most of the view.

Wilbur Hubbard

Edgar March 3rd 07 11:59 AM

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
It seems to me sailing from a pilot house is illegal. How can anybody
comply with Colregs rule 5 while inside the pilothouse.

RULE 5 Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and
hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing
circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the
situation and of the risk of collision.

You can't hear things well inside a pilot house for one and for another
you just can't maintain a proper lookout by sight with the structure
blocking most of the view.

Wilbur Hubbard

So you are saying that most large ships are illegal?

Harry Harris March 3rd 07 04:03 PM

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
It seems to me sailing from a pilot house is illegal. How can
anybody
comply with Colregs rule 5 while inside the pilothouse.

RULE 5 Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight
and
hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the
prevailing
circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the
situation and of the risk of collision.

You can't hear things well inside a pilot house for one and for
another
you just can't maintain a proper lookout by sight with the structure
blocking most of the view.

Wilbur Hubbard

So you are saying that most large ships are illegal?

Not at all. Large ships have more than one or two people running them.
If need be, a man can be posted where he can see and hear. And,
pilothouses on big ships are way up high. The view is better from up
there than from the low pilothouse on a sailboat. I do think hearing is
a definite problem in a ship's pilothouse, though. It simply is not
possible to comply with the hearing part of Rule 5 from the pilot house
of any vessel. You need to be outside in order to hear properly.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard March 3rd 07 04:06 PM

Sail trim from the pilothouse

"Harry Harris" wrote in message
.. .

"Edgar" wrote in message

[...]

Would you please stop it. You're looking as dumb as Charlie Morgan
trying to be DSK!

Wilbur Hubbard

Harry Harris March 3rd 07 04:11 PM

"Edgar" wrote in message

[...]