BoatBanter.com

-   -   USCG Boat Search Protocol (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/78738-re-uscg-boat-search-protocol.html)

Capt. JG March 2nd 07 06:13 PM

USCG Boat Search Protocol

"Milton Waddams" wrote in message
A lawyer friend told me that the Coast Guard or any police agency must
obtain a search warrant to search any" enclosed living spaces" aboard
a vessel. Is this true? Thanks,

Milton

Nope... neither the local police nor the CG need a warrant to board you.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Joe March 2nd 07 06:17 PM

USCG Boat Search Protocol

On Mar 2, 12:13 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Milton Waddams" wrote in message

A lawyer friend told me that the Coast Guard or any police agency must
obtain a search warrant to search any" enclosed living spaces" aboard
a vessel. Is this true? Thanks,

Milton

Nope... neither the local police nor the CG need a warrant to board you.

--
"j" ganz

Wrong, a local yokle can not board you without a warrent. A federal
marshal can, and so can the USCG.

Joe

katy March 2nd 07 06:21 PM

USCG Boat Search Protocol

Joe wrote:
On Mar 2, 12:13 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:

"Milton Waddams" wrote in message

. ..

A lawyer friend told me that the Coast Guard or any police agency must
obtain a search warrant to search any" enclosed living spaces" aboard
a vessel. Is this true? Thanks,

Milton

Nope... neither the local police nor the CG need a warrant to board you.

--
"j" ganz

Wrong, a local yokle can not board you without a warrent. A federal
marshal can, and so can the USCG.

Joe

Doesn't that depend on whose jurisdiction the waters are in? If you are
on an inland lake or river, I be;lieve the local aithorities for that
jurisdiction can board you if they feel there is a reason to...and
doesn't the Homeland Security laws now cover this?

Capt. JG March 2nd 07 07:44 PM

USCG Boat Search Protocol

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:13:06 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

A lawyer friend told me that the Coast Guard or any police agency must
obtain a search warrant to search any" enclosed living spaces" aboard
a vessel. Is this true? Thanks,

Milton

Nope... neither the local police nor the CG need a warrant to board you.

Err...Jon, that wasn't the question

Seems like it was... if you're boarded they can seach the boat. Seems like
that includes any enclosed living space aboard her.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com