BoatBanter.com

-   -   Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/78420-another-hell-ship-maru-blubber-eating-japanese.html)

Joe February 18th 07 05:32 PM

Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese

It's a cursed ship, like the Charlie Morgan is now cursed.

Joe

************************************************** *************************

Greenpeace says the death of a Japanese sailor during the hunt for
whales has brought the controversial season to a premature end.

Earlier this afternoon the body of 27-year-old sailor Kazutaka Makita
was found after going missing on Thursday in a fire that has stranded
the boat.

Greenpeace protest vessel Esperanza arrived today to offer assistance
to the Nishin Maru, with a number of other ships including a heavy re-
supply ship that is tethered to the stricken vessel.

Greenpeace Esperanza expedition leader Karly Thomas says they are
upset at the tragedy, despite the tense relationship they have with
the whaling fleet.

Mundo February 18th 07 06:32 PM

Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:32:50 -0500, Joe wrote
(in article .com):

It's a cursed ship, like the Charlie Morgan is now cursed.

Joe

************************************************** *************************

Greenpeace says the death of a Japanese sailor during the hunt for
whales has brought the controversial season to a premature end.

Earlier this afternoon the body of 27-year-old sailor Kazutaka Makita
was found after going missing on Thursday in a fire that has stranded
the boat.

Greenpeace protest vessel Esperanza arrived today to offer assistance
to the Nishin Maru, with a number of other ships including a heavy re-
supply ship that is tethered to the stricken vessel.

Greenpeace Esperanza expedition leader Karly Thomas says they are
upset at the tragedy, despite the tense relationship they have with
the whaling fleet.

I recently saw a clip of these guys attempting to stop a Japanese "research"
vessel from hunting whales. I guess until the demand disappears there is no
reason to want to quit. It is a dirty job, someone has to do it. I believe
there was a collision as well. The greenpeace guys are like pirates. They may
mean well but they are a dangerous lot of seamen. Have you noticed how many
times the word collision and Greenpeace show up in the same sentence? I once
had an opportunity to join a crew. I chose not to for other reasons.

"Nuke the gay baby whales and pave the bay"
--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

Capt. JG February 18th 07 06:36 PM

Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

It's a cursed ship, like the Charlie Morgan is now cursed.

Joe

************************************************** *************************

Greenpeace says the death of a Japanese sailor during the hunt for
whales has brought the controversial season to a premature end.

Earlier this afternoon the body of 27-year-old sailor Kazutaka Makita
was found after going missing on Thursday in a fire that has stranded
the boat.

Greenpeace protest vessel Esperanza arrived today to offer assistance
to the Nishin Maru, with a number of other ships including a heavy re-
supply ship that is tethered to the stricken vessel.

Greenpeace Esperanza expedition leader Karly Thomas says they are
upset at the tragedy, despite the tense relationship they have with
the whaling fleet.

Check it out... whatever you might say about their politics, they've got
guts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un-s2afYINk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG7vf4byZ3o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuPk773Ye0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjlCGR_ggbw

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG February 18th 07 06:39 PM

Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

I just posted a youtube vid about the collision. It's not clear who's fault
it was, but I think it was the Japanese boat captain's fault. Of course I'm
a liberal. They sure do have guts... maybe misplaced, but guts.

BTW, it's Nuke the Unborn Gay Whales for Jesus.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Mundo February 18th 07 07:18 PM

Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:39:14 -0500, Capt. JG wrote
(in article ):

It's not clear who's fault it was, but I think it was the Japanese boat
captain's fault.

The only way that it was the Japanese ships fault was because he drew the
attention of the extremists greenpeace boat. Kind of like saying she deserved
to be raped because of what she was wearing.

This is copied from
http://www.kcpc.usyd.edu.au/discovery/9.5.1/9.5.1_whale.html

So why all this trouble to kill a whale? The simple answer: oil. One large
right whale can provide 25 tons of oil.

The oil from whales can be divided into two catergories: whale and sperm.
Whale oil comes from baleen whales and is edible. Sperm oil comes from sperm
whales and is inedible.

Although the oil is the reason for hunting them, every other bit of the whale
- from flesh to bone - found a use.

The products made from various bits of whale include:
€ lamp oil (from sperm oil)
€ margarine and cooking oil (from whale oil)
€ candles, soaps, cosmetics and perfumes (from sperm oil)
€ corsets and umbrellas (from whalebone)
€ whale-meat for human consumption
€ animal feed (from meat meal)
€ fertiliser (from bone meal)
€ string for tennis racquets (from tendons)

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

Capt. JG February 18th 07 07:32 PM

Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:39:14 -0500, Capt. JG wrote
(in article ):

It's not clear who's fault it was, but I think it was the Japanese boat
captain's fault.

The only way that it was the Japanese ships fault was because he drew the
attention of the extremists greenpeace boat. Kind of like saying she
deserved
to be raped because of what she was wearing.

GP is fairly extreme, but it looked like the GP boat was on starboard, so it
would be up to the whaler to give way initially, and I looks like the GP
boat did attempt to back full astern when the capt realized that the whaler
was not giving way. Of course, I'm making the assumption, which could be
wrong, that the GP capt was telling the truth about the whaler and his own
actions.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Mundo February 18th 07 08:15 PM

Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 14:32:31 -0500, Capt. JG wrote
(in article ):

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:39:14 -0500, Capt. JG wrote
(in article ):

It's not clear who's fault it was, but I think it was the Japanese boat
captain's fault.

The only way that it was the Japanese ships fault was because he drew the
attention of the extremists greenpeace boat. Kind of like saying she
deserved
to be raped because of what she was wearing.

GP is fairly extreme, but it looked like the GP boat was on starboard, so it
would be up to the whaler to give way initially, and I looks like the GP
boat did attempt to back full astern when the capt realized that the whaler
was not giving way. Of course, I'm making the assumption, which could be
wrong, that the GP capt was telling the truth about the whaler and his own
actions.

The GP boat positioned itself intentionlly to be to starboard to force
another vessel off course and you think this is not only acceptable, but
brave and admirable? So if you where out sailing and I kept forcing you from
a strbd position this would be okay for you?
I am not immpressed Mr. Ganz. You may not massage my prostate. In fact you
may not even rub cream on my cracked feet. Your license is officially revoked
until further notice.

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

Maxprop February 18th 07 08:36 PM

Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:39:14 -0500, Capt. JG wrote
(in article ):

It's not clear who's fault it was, but I think it was the Japanese boat
captain's fault.

The only way that it was the Japanese ships fault was because he drew the
attention of the extremists greenpeace boat. Kind of like saying she
deserved
to be raped because of what she was wearing.

GP is fairly extreme, but it looked like the GP boat was on starboard, so
it would be up to the whaler to give way initially, and I looks like the
GP boat did attempt to back full astern when the capt realized that the
whaler was not giving way. Of course, I'm making the assumption, which
could be wrong, that the GP capt was telling the truth about the whaler
and his own actions.

You'll get a kick outta this, Jon. Quite a few years ago I was an active
Greenpeace member. I served aboard the Rainbow Warrior for 4 weeks while we
photographed and documented maneuvers by the US Navy off the coast of
Mexico. They were dumping huge amounts of refuse, but also sinking old,
decommissioned vessels whose tanks still contained large amounts of diesel
and discarded motor oil. The oil slicks were monstrous. Probably why they
chose to do this off the coast of Mexico rather than the US--no one
protested down there.

Thought you'd like to know.

Max

Maxprop February 18th 07 08:41 PM

Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Indeed. Greenpeace has a reputation of placing members in large Zodiacs
between whales and harpoon guns. I've seen whalers shoot right over the top
of the Greenpeacers, which could have decapitated one or more of them had
they not dropped to the floor of the Zodiac.

This is like Mooron and his infant harp seals--a war between those who make
a living at slaughtering animals on the verge of extinction and those who
put themselves in harm's way to protect the animals.

Max

Capt. JG February 19th 07 01:43 AM

Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 14:32:31 -0500, Capt. JG wrote
(in article ):

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

I saw no mention of this other than your statement saying it's so. I believe
they have the right to make slow passage, but I'll concede that they
probably did position themselves as you suggest. In any case, it's still the
responsibility of the give-way vessel to avoid a collision. From what I've
read, seen, they increased speed not decreased... that's a violation as well
I believe.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com