BoatBanter.com

-   -   Piloting Question #1 (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/73966-piloting-question-1-a.html)

[email protected] September 14th 06 06:53 AM

Piloting Question #1

What is the fundamental difference between
a fixed navigational aid and a floating one as
depicted on a chart.

1 pt for everyone but Joe--for him it's only 1/2 a point
or if he whines about it--a dozen lashes .

Capt. JG September 14th 06 07:18 AM

Piloting Question #1

Fixed ain't gonna move. The floating ones do move.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

ups.com...

katy September 14th 06 12:42 PM

Piloting Question #1

Capt. JG wrote:
Fixed ain't gonna move. The floating ones do move.

You have animated charts?? Where'd you get them??

Jeff September 14th 06 01:13 PM

Piloting Question #1

wrote:
What is the fundamental difference between
a fixed navigational aid and a floating one as
depicted on a chart.

1 pt for everyone but Joe--for him it's only 1/2 a point
or if he whines about it--a dozen lashes .

A floating aid will generally be shown with an open circle, indicating
that its exact position may change.

The fixed aid will generally have a dot in the circle or a larger
black disk, indicating that its position can considered exact.

Scotty September 14th 06 03:04 PM

Piloting Question #1

"Jeff" wrote in message
What is the fundamental difference between
a fixed navigational aid and a floating one as
depicted on a chart.

1 pt for everyone but Joe--for him it's only 1/2 a point
or if he whines about it--a dozen lashes .

A floating aid will generally be shown with an open

circle, indicating
that its exact position may change.

The fixed aid will generally have a dot in the circle or a

larger
black disk, indicating that its position can considered

exact.

As a sailor, what is the significance between the two?

Scotty

Jeff September 14th 06 03:27 PM

Piloting Question #1

Scotty wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
What is the fundamental difference between
a fixed navigational aid and a floating one as
depicted on a chart.

1 pt for everyone but Joe--for him it's only 1/2 a point
or if he whines about it--a dozen lashes .

A floating aid will generally be shown with an open

circle, indicating
that its exact position may change.

The fixed aid will generally have a dot in the circle or a

larger
black disk, indicating that its position can considered

exact.

As a sailor, what is the significance between the two?

The floating aids have a lot more give when you hit them.

[insert link to picture of high speed powerboat skewered on fixed navaid]

In practice the biggest thing is identification. Its common in some
areas to have every third of fourth mark in a channel fixed rather
than floating. I tend to use paper charts and Mk 1 eyeball more than
gps, and in 10 foot tide areas the fixed aids really stand out from
the floating.

Ellen MacArthur September 14th 06 03:33 PM

Piloting Question #1

wrote
| What is the fundamental difference between
| a fixed navigational aid and a floating one as
| depicted on a chart.

A fixed aid flashes like it's supposed to because it's been fixed.
A floating one might not be working because it hasn't been fixed.

It's a joke people....

Cheers,
Ellen

Jeff September 14th 06 03:45 PM

Piloting Question #1

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
wrote
| What is the fundamental difference between
| a fixed navigational aid and a floating one as
| depicted on a chart.

A fixed aid flashes like it's supposed to because it's been fixed.
A floating one might not be working because it hasn't been fixed.

Wrong, the fixed aid can't have puppies.

Scotty September 14th 06 03:53 PM

Piloting Question #1

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

wrote
| What is the fundamental difference between
| a fixed navigational aid and a floating one as
| depicted on a chart.

A fixed aid flashes

She must use the same charts that Jon does.

SV

katy September 14th 06 04:01 PM

Piloting Question #1

Jeff wrote:
Ellen MacArthur wrote:
wrote | What is the fundamental difference
between
| a fixed navigational aid and a floating one as
| depicted on a chart.

A fixed aid flashes like it's supposed to because it's been fixed.
A floating one might not be working because it hasn't been fixed.

Wrong, the fixed aid can't have puppies.

But it's still a b*tch if you hit it....