posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

Default Hull-to-deck bond----semi-technical questions

Questions:

I have an old Laser which has a hull/deck flange. The bond is lost along
quite a bit of the flange. It appears that someone attempted to rebond it
with epoxy at one time, but unsuccessfully.

My questions are these: 1) Since polyurethane adhesive, such as 3M 5200, is
often used as a hull-to-deck bonding agent on larger boats, wouldn't
polyurethane be suitable for a smaller boat, too? 2) The space between the
two shells along the flange is too narrow to get something as thick as 5200
to flow into it. Since Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane adhesive, any reason
it wouldn't work as well? It would flow nicely into the space and it
expands when it cures, which would fill the space nicely.

Any opinions or experience with Gorilla?

TIA,

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Maxprop wrote:

Questions:

I have an old Laser which has a hull/deck flange. The bond is lost along
quite a bit of the flange.

Do you mean that the the flange is damaged, big chunks torn
out of it, or that the area of the bond between layers is
gone soft & cheesy?

.... It appears that someone attempted to rebond it
with epoxy at one time, but unsuccessfully.

It was probably considered successful, at least for a while.

My questions are these: 1) Since polyurethane adhesive, such as 3M 5200, is
often used as a hull-to-deck bonding agent on larger boats, wouldn't
polyurethane be suitable for a smaller boat, too?

Yes. A lot of people like Sikaflex better.

.... 2) The space between the
two shells along the flange is too narrow to get something as thick as 5200
to flow into it. Since Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane adhesive, any reason
it wouldn't work as well? It would flow nicely into the space and it
expands when it cures, which would fill the space nicely.

Any opinions or experience with Gorilla?

I haven't used Gorilla Glue much, and IMHO it isn't really
very strong (so I don't plan to use it in the future). It
does not fill gaps very well either (again IMHO), seems to
foam up.

The best way to repair a hull/deck joint is to seperate them
and re-attach them along the full length. Yes it's a PITA.
But if you need a project for a long winter, it's great. At
some point along the way, you'll be telling yourself 'it'd
be easier to just build a d^%% boat from scratch' which
tells you you're on the right track.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Max, why waste sailing time? Sell the thing to someone who wants the
job and buy a better Laser hull. They are very cheap and easy to find.
I have a nice hull for 300 bucks...you're too far away though.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

--
"Swab Rob" wrote
Max, why waste sailing time? Sell the thing to someone who

wants the
job and buy a better Laser hull. They are very cheap and

easy to find.
I have a nice hull for 300 bucks...you're too far away

though.

yeah, no sense fixing things.

If a winch stops working, sell the boat!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

though.

yeah, no sense fixing things.

Ever try this repair, Scotty? Laser's are a dime a dozen. Maybe you can
start a laser repair company to save all the bad ones!
Ignorance is bliss...and Scotty's pal.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

--
"Swab Rob" wrote
yeah, no sense fixing things.

Ever try this repair, Scotty? Laser's are a dime a dozen.

Maybe you can
start a laser repair company to save all the bad ones!
My Ignorance is bliss...

Right. Just because you're too stupid and klutzy to do boat
repairs, doesn'y mean everybody is.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Swab Rob" wrote
Max, why waste sailing time? Sell the thing to someone who

wants the
job and buy a better Laser hull. They are very cheap and

easy to find.
I have a nice hull for 300 bucks...you're too far away

though.

yeah, no sense fixing things.

If a winch stops working, sell the boat!

I wonder if the ashtrays are full on the Kia yet?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Swab Rob" wrote
Max, why waste sailing time? Sell the thing to someone

who
wants the
job and buy a better Laser hull. They are very cheap

and
easy to find.
I have a nice hull for 300 bucks...you're too far away

though.

yeah, no sense fixing things.

If a winch stops working, sell the boat!

I wonder if the ashtrays are full on the Kia yet?

Bob doesn't smoke, he's not allowed to have matches.

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

Max, why waste sailing time? Sell the thing to someone who wants the
job and buy a better Laser hull. They are very cheap and easy to find.
I have a nice hull for 300 bucks...you're too far away though.

I want to give the boat to some kids for the purpose of learning to sail.
Hate to just throw it away. With the exception of the hull/deck bond, it's
in relatively good shape.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Maxprop wrote:
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Max, why waste sailing time? Sell the thing to someone who wants the
job and buy a better Laser hull. They are very cheap and easy to find.
I have a nice hull for 300 bucks...you're too far away though.

I want to give the boat to some kids for the purpose of learning to sail.
Hate to just throw it away. With the exception of the hull/deck bond, it's
in relatively good shape.

Max

Doante it to the Muskegon Yacht Club...the kids there fix things all the
time...