posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Is that rust stains?

On a fiberglass boat? The builders musta used cheap bolts.

And notice how the stern had to be squared off so fat lubbers can
crawl and flop aboard a stage.

Hey Robspirt... couple of tips here.

http://www.oceanfenders.com/pp9.jpg

A proper shaped stern ......And rubber baby bumpers that you can order
and get before you Un-shrink wrap your daysailor.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Ooooopppssss. Here is the picture of the rust stains and UGLY shaped
stern.

http://www.yyc.or.jp/pages/members/BravoRadio.jpg

Notice how the stern had to be squared off so fat lubbers can
crawl and flop aboard a stage.

Hey Robspirt... couple of tips here.

http://www.oceanfenders.com/pp9.jpg

A proper shaped stern ......And rubber baby bumpers that you can order
and get before you Un-shrink wrap your daysailor.

Joe

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I really, really, really think that's a bad place for a backstay.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ooooopppssss. Here is the picture of the rust stains and UGLY shaped
stern.

http://www.yyc.or.jp/pages/members/BravoRadio.jpg

Notice how the stern had to be squared off so fat lubbers can
crawl and flop aboard a stage.

Hey Robspirt... couple of tips here.

http://www.oceanfenders.com/pp9.jpg

A proper shaped stern ......And rubber baby bumpers that you can order
and get before you Un-shrink wrap your daysailor.

Joe

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I really, really, really think that's a bad place for a backstay.

No history of problems with that backstay. It's set into a massive hung
of glass and is bulletproof.

And....

http://www.floridaboats.net/images/3.../slides/5.html

No rust stains though I've seen such stains on premium boats with
so-called SS hardware.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

It's still not a good spot. It doesn't look "bulletproof" to me. Seems like
it would potentially interfere with using the platform. Certainly not my
first choice for a cruising boat unless you don't own the boat... e.g., a
bareboat.

I'm also wondering if the extra length would increase the spring loads on
the mast and the rest of the rigging.

In Joe's post, it sure looks like rust stains to me.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
I really, really, really think that's a bad place for a backstay.

No history of problems with that backstay. It's set into a massive hung
of glass and is bulletproof.

And....

http://www.floridaboats.net/images/3.../slides/5.html

No rust stains though I've seen such stains on premium boats with
so-called SS hardware.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Capt. JG" wrote

In Joe's post, it sure looks like rust stains to me.

**** stain?

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

http://www.floridaboats.net/images/3.../slides/5.html

Typical broker trick, Spray the running rust with ospho and it
dissappears until exposed to salt water again.

you can clearly see dis-coloration around the base of your backstay,
just wait until you get salt water on it again.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Seahag

"Joe" wrote:
http://www.floridaboats.net/images/3.../slides/5.html

Typical broker trick, Spray the running rust with ospho
and it
dissappears until exposed to salt water again.

you can clearly see dis-coloration around the base of your
backstay,
just wait until you get salt water on it again.

Could be rust just from the screws in the deck-plate.

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
I really, really, really think that's a bad place for a backstay.

No history of problems with that backstay. It's set into a massive hung
of glass and is bulletproof.

No history?

You mean those saddle clamps are stock? An improvement over the stock
fixture?

I would say those clamps are a history of problems!

Nice, deep coloured wood interior on your boat, though. Is that some type of
rich mahogany or some other exotic wood?

Amen!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Notice Robspirts backstay is clamped off with saddle clamps?
http://www.floridaboats.net/images/3.../slides/5.html

The clown who did it used to many..... and saddled a dead horse.

I thought with a light racer you would want to be able to adjust the
rake of the mast to tweak preformance. The Commode will never win with
that cheap set-up.

If you look at the Japanese Rob and his Radio Girls boat you will see
it rigged properly.

http://www.yyc.or.jp/pages/members/BravoRadio.jpg

Also notice that the bilge pump is kicking on on the Radio boat?
Indicates that all bennies have bad stuffing boxes, or worse packing
less systems.

Joe