NotPony

Default learning by numbers

This past season, I spent my Wednesday evenings
racing on an old (1977) Bristol 34. Seems like an
oxymoron, racing an old cruising boat that rates
192.
This boat has no fancy electronics or high tech
sails. Electronics consist of a knot log and
depth meter.
When I started with this boat, I called it the
geriatric boat. The owners are both in their mid
60's. One crew member is in her late 70's. At
40, I was the youngest on the boat.
We sailed by the compass. Checking the wind and
line bearings at the start, checking heading for
lifts and headers.
Mid-season I was allowed to take over as skipper.
Dinghy racing has given me the confidence to put
the boat where I want it without the concern of
being too close to the other boats. An inch from
another boat in dinghies isn't a big deal.
Knowing the rules helps out a lot too.
Math not being my strong suit, I made a little
compass rose with rotating cross hairs. I simply
turn the dial to the bearing of the line and see
where the wind is for the favored end.
I learned so much from these old timers on an old
boat, I was able to steer us to two firsts in the
last couple races. This is not just correcting
over faster boats, but actually crossing the line
in front of boats with ratings in the 170's.
The owners have given me use of the boat to enter
in the Baltimore Harbor Cup to benefit leukemia.
I thought it would be a good thing to do as a
friend of mine has a son that was recently
diagnosed with
leukemia.http://www.active.com/donate/leukemiacupm
d/BCSC
It is so much fun to push this old boat and come
out ahead.
It's also speaks volumes that the crew on this
boat has been together for years. A spot doesn't
open up unless someone dies.
I've also been able to pass on a load of info and
experience to my son. It gives so much pleasure
having him take interest in something I'm
interested in. But I've got to watch him. He's
starting to give his old man a run for his money.
As much as I dread it in one sense, I can't wait
for the day he beats me in every race.
So, between racing the Bristol, racing dinghies,
sailing my boat and running the sailing center, I
don't see how life could get much better.
S.

John Cairns

"NotPony" wrote in message
[...]

Reminded of several things. The former "Shenanagin" was a '72 Tartan 30, the
skipper owned that boat for years, got it to sail faster than it's rating,
though I think he did better on distance races. My first racing experience
was on a Catalina 27, the winners for the Wednesday night races in our
division were usually an old 60+ couple in another Catalina 27. They knew
that boat, they would sail away from us like we were standing still-didn't
help that we were so bad, of course. And lastly, several years back the
overall winner in the Trans-Erie was an ancient Cal 29. There is a lot to be
said for racing an older boat, really getting to know it, then maximizing
it's speed potential. You know, crewing is a lot easier, on the whole, than
racing your own boat.

John Cairns

DSK

NotPony wrote:

This past season, I spent my Wednesday evenings
racing on an old (1977) Bristol 34.

C'mon, that's not OLD!!!

... Seems like an
oxymoron, racing an old cruising boat that rates
192.

Yeah, but the hot boats from that era don't rate much better, a Ranger
37 rates in the 170s.

I learned so much from these old timers on an old
boat, I was able to steer us to two firsts in the
last couple races. This is not just correcting
over faster boats, but actually crossing the line
in front of boats with ratings in the 170's.

Good job! Nothing like using the fine-tuned basic sailing skills to
really drive a boat, the way it should be driven.

The owners have given me use of the boat to enter
in the Baltimore Harbor Cup to benefit leukemia.
I thought it would be a good thing to do as a
friend of mine has a son that was recently
diagnosed with
leukemia.http://www.active.com/donate/leukemiacupm
d/BCSC

My wife & I would be happy & proud to sponsor you, Stve. Give me a call.

It is so much fun to push this old boat and come
out ahead.
It's also speaks volumes that the crew on this
boat has been together for years. A spot doesn't
open up unless someone dies.

Ummm... how did *you* get on board, or shouldn't I ask?!?

I've also been able to pass on a load of info and
experience to my son. It gives so much pleasure
having him take interest in something I'm
interested in. But I've got to watch him. He's
starting to give his old man a run for his money.
As much as I dread it in one sense, I can't wait
for the day he beats me in every race.

You have a better attitude than the 'older generation' in my family did.
And as much as my neices and nephews have enjoyed sailing, they haven't
taken up racing.

I hope your son introduces a lot of his friends to the pleasures of
sailing and maybe even racing.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

rgnmstr

It's just being out there that counts.

Thom Stewart

Right you are Loco! being out there and having good friends to drink my
Manhattans with..

OT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/Pneuma

Capt. Rob

And the pride in owning your own boat!

Pride of owning an object? How shallow.
We never own anything in this life. We're all renters.

RB

Capt. Rob

Great story. Thanks for contributing it. It is
people like you that make this group worthwhile.

Thank you.

RB